"A Trip to Fachwerkstadt" Top 5 Page for this destination Wernigerode by hunterV

Wernigerode Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 114 photos

A Good Chance

During my trip to Germany (the GDR at that time) when I was a student I had a very good chance of visiting the Harz - the famous mountainous region to the south of Magdeburg.
We, a group of Soviet students of German, stayed in Magdeburg at the teacher-training college for a month to study German.
We stayed at the campus of Erich Weinert pedagogical college and attended classes at that college.
We were also taken to the Harz for a weekend trip to see the great sites.
This city, as we were told, was famous for its medieval architecture and was often called "the city of half-timbered houses". "Fachwerkstadt" - this is how it sounds in German.
It is really full of those old houses and one of them is the City Hall built in the 15th century. They say this city became famous all over Germany for married couples liked to come here for a wedding ceremony in the old City Hall. So the city was also called The city of the newly-weds.
Also, we had the pleasure of visiting the Feudal Museum in Wernigerode located in an old castle up the hill. It was, in fact, the first medieval castle I had ever visited.
I hope I will have another chance of visiting that splendid city!

Historical Ritterburg ("Knights' Castle")

This is the Knights' Castle that is a must for everybody coming to this city.
If you take your time and go up the hill, you will enjoy the whole day of discoveries in this splendid complex of buildings.
I visited this city shortly after a famous Soviet movie about Baron Münchhausen had been filmed here.

Wedding Attraction

This is the famous City Hall that has always attracted lots of newlyweds from all over Germany.
It's astonishing to see the well-preserved exibits, the halls and rooms that have preserved their original look for 400 years...

• Pros:Lots of medieval half-timbered houses, a great castle
  • Cons:A long way to go...
  • In a nutshell:A real architectural gem of the Harz Region!
  • Last visit to Wernigerode: Sep 1981
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2011

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Especially lovely place, the splendid Markt!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM

It really looks like a lovely place to visit, like so many of the little German towns. Thanks for sharing as always.

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Beautiful intro on Wernigerode! Beautiful & many of medieval half-timbered houses!

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Another castle - looks great! I've never been to the Harz region, looks like a destination I should put on my list.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

i was in wernigerode just after the wall came down and had a very interesting time there.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 6:32 AM

looks a bit stunning to me - i love these little german town, and the bier that goes with them

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Looks like a great place to visit! There are way many good places and not enough time.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I've never heard of this town before but then again there are so many smaller places in former GDR that are unknown to many Swiss.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Victor, lovely little page about Wernigerode which for some reason is very well known here in Germany. Nevertheless, I have never been there.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2008 at 3:22 AM

wow, that is a great place, I have often heared about but never saw a photo of it. Thats one of the places I have to visit as soon as I get close to this part of germany !

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Wernigerode

Have you been to Wernigerode?

Latest Activity in Wernigerode