"A Trip to Fachwerkstadt" Top 5 Page for this destination Wernigerode by hunterV
Wernigerode Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 109 photos
During my trip to Germany (the GDR at that time) when I was a student I had a very good chance of visiting the Harz - the famous mountainous region to the south of Magdeburg.
We, a group of Soviet students of German, stayed in Magdeburg at the teacher-training college for a month to study German.
We stayed at the campus of Erich Weinert pedagogical college and attended classes at that college.
We were also taken to the Harz for a weekend trip to see the great sites.
This city, as we were told, was famous for its medieval architecture and was often called "the city of half-timbered houses". "Fachwerkstadt" - this is how it sounds in German.
It is really full of those old houses and one of them is the City Hall built in the 15th century. They say this city became famous all over Germany for married couples liked to come here for a wedding ceremony in the old City Hall. So the city was also called The city of the newly-weds.
Also, we had the pleasure of visiting the Feudal Museum in Wernigerode located in an old castle up the hill. It was, in fact, the first medieval castle I had ever visited.
I hope I will have another chance of visiting that splendid city!
This is the Knights' Castle that is a must for everybody coming to this city.
If you take your time and go up the hill, you will enjoy the whole day of discoveries in this splendid complex of buildings.
I visited this city shortly after a famous Soviet movie about Baron Münchhausen had been filmed here.
This is the famous City Hall that has always attracted lots of newlyweds from all over Germany.
It's astonishing to see the well-preserved exibits, the halls and rooms that have preserved their original look for 400 years...
- Pros:Lots of medieval half-timbered houses, a great castle
- Cons:A long way to go...
- In a nutshell:A real architectural gem of the Harz Region!
Like in many German cities, Markt is the central square attracting all the visitors of the city due to its splendid... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Wernigerode Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Timber-framed beauty"
- "Wedding town"
- "A Trip to Fachwerkstadt"
- "Welcome in Wernigerode"
- "Impressions Wernigerrode"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wernigerode
- Hotels in Wernigerode
- Transportation in Wernigerode
- Restaurants in Wernigerode
- Shopping in Wernigerode
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wernigerode
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Wernigerode?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wernigerode
Photos in WernigerodeSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues