"The Wonderful Black Forest" Calw by hunterV

Calw Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos

Country Study Through Your Experience

Country Study Through Your Experience - that was the name of our professional development seminar.
We, a group Ukrainian educators consisting of twenty-two ladies, German teachers from different Ukrainian cities, and I, were privileged to attend that seminar in April-May 2001 on the invitation of the Ministry of Education and Cults of Baden-Wuerttemberg.
It was an "all inclusive" trip fully sponsored by the German Government.
Thanks a lot, Education Ministry! It was very kind of you!
We studied German language and culture at the Teachers’ Academy of Province Baden-Wuerttemberg and stayed at the teachers’ dormitory downtown.
Our seminar was three weeks long, which was great!
It was, in fact, my second visit to Calw. I was there for the first time in December 1999 during my short visit to a friend of mine who lives in Egenhausen, Calw County. He went shopping to Calw and I joined him there.

Historical Sites

The city is the center of Calw County and has a lot of sites: a lot of historical buildings, half-timbered houses (more than 200 of them) dating back to the middle of the 17th century, old streets, beautiful relief of the countryside.
We were very busy during the seminar, but on weekends we could take a tour of the vicinity, travel to the neighboring cities either on our own or have an organized tour.
Hermann Hesse museum is what the city is famous for. Hermann Hesse, a famous German writer, was born here.
Take a look at Historical Tour of the Romantic City of Calw

A Resort Area

The city landscape is very special. Calw lies on the River Nagold the hills of the Black Forest on different altitudes, which makes its landscape very special.
The city is very tidy, well-preserved and nice.
I would say you can feel the harmony of its present and the past.
Please take a look at City Tours

• Pros:Wonderful architecture, clean and tidy streets, a nice countryside.
  • Cons:Too far to get there…
  • In a nutshell:Harmony, Health and Good Mood
  • Last visit to Calw: May 2001
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2011

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Victor, trust you are keeping well. Ive not been on VT as much as I would like recently. Nice to return to read more of your pages. Calw looks a pretty place - certainly like the houses in the city centre.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

It looks like a postcard. What a lovely town and page!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I find that even though I source out as many German towns and cities asI can fit into my itineraries, I can always find more right here on VT and thanks to you Calw is another new one for me to think about seeing. Lovely page, Victor, thank you.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I love those town's with the half-timbered house's!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Lovely half-timbered houses - I can see why you were so happy to be able to spend some time here :-)

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Nice update to an already great page!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

an interesting place with great halftimbered houses !

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Uganda is safer than ever now.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 9:58 PM

What a lowely town and surrounding landscape! Great that you were invited to a sponsored seminar!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Looks like you and your group had a lovely visit to Calw. I really like the German half-timbered buildings.

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Calw