"The Wonderful Black Forest" Calw by hunterV
Calw Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos
Country Study Through Your Experience - it was the name of our professional development seminar in Calw. We, a group Ukrainian educators consisting of twenty-two ladies, German teachers from different Ukrainian cities, and I, were privileged to attend that seminar in April-May 2001 on the invitation of the Ministry of Education and Cults of Baden-Württemberg. It was an "all inclusive" trip fully sponsored by the German Government. Thanks a lot, dear Education Ministry! It was very kind of you!
We studied German language and culture at the Teachers? Academy of Baden-Württemberg and stayed at the teachers? dormitory downtown. Our seminar was three weeks long, which was great!
It was, in fact, my second visit to Calw. I was there for the first time in December 1999 during my short visit to a friend of mine, who lives in Egenhausen, Calw County. He went shopping to Calw and I joined him there.
The city is the center of Calw County and has a lot of sites: a lot of historical buildings, half-timbered houses (more than 200 of them) dating back to the middle of the 17th century, old streets, beautiful relief of the countryside.
We were very busy during the seminar, but on weekends we could take a tour of the vicinity, travel to the neighboring cities either on our own or have an organized tour.
Hermann Hesse Museum is what the city is famous for. Hermann Hesse, a famous German writer, was born here.
Please take a look at Historical Tour of the Romantic City of Calw
The city landscape is very special. Calw lies on the River Nagold the hills of the Black Forest on different altitudes, which makes its landscape very special.
The city is very tidy, well-preserved and nice. I would say you can feel the harmony of its present and the past.
FYI City Tours
- Pros:Wonderful architecture, clean and tidy streets, a nice countryside.
- Cons:Too far to get there?
- In a nutshell:Harmony, Health and Good Mood
We visited the rural life museum in one of the city districts and learnt about the life that farmers led two hundred... more travel advice
I did not stay at this hotel. My friend Alfred and I had dinner at the hotel restaurant one day! The architecture and... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Calw Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wonderful Black Forest"
- "Hermann Hesse and Calw"
- "Home of Hermann Hesse"
- "Calw Under Construction"
- "Black Forest"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calw
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Calw?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calw
Photos in CalwSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 245 reviews, 1516 photos, 33 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kharkiv Intro, 101 reviews, 703 photos, 24 travelogues
- Mirgorod Intro, 81 reviews, 500 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 448 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Poltava Intro, 63 reviews, 358 photos, 5 travelogues