"POMPEII" Pompeii by Venturingnow
Pompeii Travel Guide: 980 reviews and 2,709 photos
I visited the magnificent yet sad remains of Pompei, just a short train ride south of Naples, Italy. The ruins at Pompei provide a more than excellent view into the lives of residents of the past. In case you are unaware, Pompeii used to be a city, located near Mt. Vesuvius, an active volcano that soon would make Pompei its prey. In AD 79, Mt. Vesuvius blew its top and covered Herculaneum and Pompeii in a thick layer of volcanic ash and this stuff called tufa stone. Pompeii was once home to over 20,000 residents, so as you might imagine, the whole complex of ruins is extremely large in its area. If you are anywhere in the region of Pompeii, it is definitely worth your time and I am so happy to have visited and experienced it.
You will find Pompeii almost perfectly preserved, from the houses, roads, temples, and even paintings, which as you can see, are remarkable in their appearance.
Pompeii has a number of fascinating temples such as the Jupiter, Inis, and Apollo which are all impressive in their own rights, each having their own sets of columns, ancient works of art, magnificent courtyards, and in some, bronze statues.f*
The best place to start your exploration of the Pompeii ruins is in the forum. It is from here that the rest of the city... more travel advice
In a couple of houses currently under excavation, you can witness the horror of what the people of Pompeii experienced... more travel advice
Venturingnow's Related Pages
Pompeii Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful Roman town of Pompei"
- "The Dead City"
- "Striding across Pompei"
- "Frozen in time"
- "Pompeii: Rising from the Ashes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeii
- Hotels in Pompeii
- Transportation in Pompeii
- Nightlife in Pompeii
- Restaurants in Pompeii
- Shopping in Pompeii
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeii
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pompeii
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Pompeii?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeii
Photos in PompeiiSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Seattle Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 23 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 23 reviews, 25 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Newcastle Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pompeii Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos