Nairobi Area Shopping Tips by sphynxxs
Nairobi Area Shopping: 8 reviews and 3 photos
massai market in Nairobi
there are several of the so-called massai markets - open air markets where small traders gather on the ground of a parking lot surrounding one of the malls, places where lots of tourists and expats hang out at. There is one on the parking roof of Westgate shopping mall every Tuesday and another one on the parking lot of Yaya Center every Sunday. There is also a permanent massai market in the little street triangle at lower Kabete near Sarit Center in Westlands.
What to buy: At all of the stalls you' ll find the usual mix of shukas, kikoys, carved animals, beaded jewellery, wooden masks, kisii stones etc. Haggling about the price is part of the fun. The traders are usually not overly pushy and aggressive.
What to pay: it all depends on your negotiation skills - I' d recommend to have a look at some of the places with fixed prices first so you get an idea how much you are expected to pay
Theme: Local Craft
there is a Massai market on Sundays at the parking lot of Yaya Center in Kilimani, open till afternoon. Besides, there is a kind of permanent massai market (a number of stalls) opposite Sarit Center in Westlands. Both are located relatively close to the city centre, and if you cannot agree on prices with the traders (you need to haggle), you can shop in the malls or nearby shops like Spinners Web on Wayaki Highway for African/Kenyan craftwork
Theme: Local Craft
Obama rocks - especially in kenya, the home country of his late father where many people see him an an inspiration and the tourism industry is hoping to make some money with his name. It did not take long after his election until his face appeared on the traditional cloth, the kanga
What to buy: the "Obama kangas" appear in a number of colors, and by now there are different patterns - some are more traditional, others follow the taste of Western tourists to increas sales
What to pay: these "special" kangas cost no more than the usual (though a shopkeeper told me they are sold for 22 $ in the US), so expect to pay about 350 KES (about 4,5 $)
Address: you´ll find them for sure in the shops on Biashara
Directions: Nairobi city center
the RaMoMa art gallery in Parklands should be a good spot to start when looking for contemporary art. They also help young artists to exhibit their works open air on their grounds - I think it is usually on the first Saturday of the month - and have a good reputation. There is also a website: http://kenya.africancolours.net/
both Alliance Francaise and Goethe Institute sometimes organise meetings with artists
Address: Rahimtulla Tower, Upper Hill Road
More Reviews (13)
- See All artsy fairyland made of recycled glass
- See All Elephant Orphanage
- Security checks at malls and hotels
- cocktails, dance and ladies of the night
sphynxxs' Related Pages
Nairobi Area Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nairobi, the capital of Kenya"
- "Nairobi - Crossroads of Africa"
- "My hometown"
- "Nairobi and the Giraffe Manner"
- "Modern capital without a real identity"
- "Our family trip to Nairobi"
- "Safari days 29 - 30"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nairobi Area
- Hotels in Nairobi Area
- Transportation in Nairobi Area
- Nightlife in Nairobi Area
- Restaurants in Nairobi Area
- Shopping in Nairobi Area
- Warnings and Dangers in Nairobi Area
- See All...
Explore the World
- Funchal Hotels
- Arrowtown Hotels
- Rose Hill
- Huairou Hotels
- Lac Saint-Louis Hotels
- Comunidad Valenciana
- Campobello di Licata
Badges & Stats in Nairobi Area
- 29 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 68 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Nairobi Area?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nairobi Area
- Posted in Travel Masai Mara Game Reserve Forum "Re: Masai Mara or Serengeti in..."
- updated a Nairobi Area Travel Page "Modern capital without a real identity"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Modern capital without a real identity"
- Wrote a Review artsy fairyland made of recycled glass in Nairobi Area Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Nairobi AreaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Kenya Intro, 34 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 16 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tunisia Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nairobi Area Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos