"Modern capital without a real identity" Nairobi Area by sphynxxs
Nairobi Area Travel Guide: 728 reviews and 1,706 photos
no one can really tell how many people live in Nairobi - the numbers go somewhere between two and more than three million people, mainly because at least 60 % of the population live in slums which offically are "informal settlements with an unregistered population. Nairobi derives from the expression "cool water", and at an altitude of 1700 metres it sports a very moderate climate for a location just below the equator. In British colonial times it was thus an ideal location for the administration - not too hot or humid,with pleasant weather conditions most of the year.
Back then, Nairobi was planned for a size of 50 00 to 100 000 people - but since independence the number of inhabitants has exploded while a real city planning lags behind, despite the bold vision of a "metropolis Nairobi" the Kenyan government is favoring these days. You will find shack next to modern office buildings, power cuts are frequent and the streets are hopelessly jammed . Much of the historic architectural heritage in the city center has been torn down in favor of modern but facelessskyscrapers and office buildings
At least 60 % of the Nairobi population live in slums - only a minority can afford an apartment or house with amenities most of us consider "normal". While not all of the slum dwellers live in shacks like those in Kibera, even the more "comfortable" tenement houses are crowded and health and hygienic conditions are poor. offically the slum areas are "informal settlements with an unregistered population. For the city council this means they can conveniently ignore the needs of hundreds of thousands of people who have neither electricity nor running water or toilets in their houses.
Kitengela glass factory is just outside Nairobi off the road towards Magadi. While you can buy the products in a number... more travel advice
there are several of the so-called massai markets - open air markets where small traders gather on the ground of a... more travel advice
sphynxxs' Related Pages
Nairobi Area Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nairobi, the capital of Kenya"
- "Nairobi - Crossroads of Africa"
- "My hometown"
- "Nairobi and the Giraffe Manner"
- "Modern capital without a real identity"
- "Our family trip to Nairobi"
- "Safari days 29 - 30"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nairobi Area
- Hotels in Nairobi Area
- Transportation in Nairobi Area
- Nightlife in Nairobi Area
- Restaurants in Nairobi Area
- Shopping in Nairobi Area
- Warnings and Dangers in Nairobi Area
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nairobi Area
- 29 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 75 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Nairobi Area?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nairobi Area
Photos in Nairobi AreaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Kenya Intro, 34 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 16 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tunisia Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nairobi Area Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos