Krakow Favorite Tips by Martin_S.
Krakow Favorites: 277 reviews and 402 photos
Statue of a head, Market Square, Krakow, Poland
Favorite thing: If you read about the Market Square in the web sites I have added here you will undestand why this is the premier meeting point for locals and visitors alike.
You have some wonderful vendors stalls over the weekend that sell all sorts of local products, from candy to honey or even carvings.
There is also a statue of a severed head, lying on its side with what looks like bandages partially covering the eyes. Could not find out what the statue symbolizes (if anything), so I decided it was to warn you. If you go around with bandages over your eyes you might fall down and cut your head off, so be careful.
The Market Square is also "home" to several dozen horses and carriages that you can rent for a short jaunt around the old city.
Fondest memory: http://www.cracow-life.com/poland/krakow-market-square
St. Andrew's Church, Krakow, Poland
Favorite thing: While visiting St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, we noticed another set of bell towers adjacent, turns out that they have a wall in common with St. Andrew's Church.. We did not have time to visit, but I did look it up on the internet so you would at least have some information, this is what I found at
St. Andrew's Church dates from the 11th century and is the finest example of Romanesque architecture in Kraków. Local residents took refuge within the strong walls of St. Andrew's during the Tartar raids. The simple, white Romanesque exterior with two round towers has a humble, gentle beauty. The interior, on the other hand, was given a Baroque makeover in the 18th century and jars the senses. The furnishings include a fanciful pulpit resembling a boat.
Names: Kosciól swietego Andrzeja; St. Andrew's Church
Type of site: Parish church
Faith: Roman Catholic
Dates: 11th century
Architecture: Romanesque with Baroque interior
Location: Grodzka 56
St.Peter & St.Paul Church, Krakow, Poland
Favorite thing: St.Peter & St.Paul Church was not in our guide book as an "attraction", but it turned into an attraction for us as we wandered the streets of Krakow. We just happened to walk by as we saw children dressed in white, looking like moving snow in the summer. It was not a holiday that we knew about so we asked some of the people there and they explained to us that the kids in white had just had communion. So it WAS a holiday for them.
Planty Park greenscape, Krakow, Poland
Favorite thing: What I found on the internet about the park was "The Planty ring, consisting of about 30 gardens, encircles the central Old Town historic district. It replaced Krakow’s city walls in the 1820s."
But more importantly it is a beautiful green area surrounding the old town of Krakow and makes for an exceptional area to enjoy a nice day of sunshine. We often, during our stay in Krakow, took the long way around so we could walk in the park, instead of taking the more direct paved streets in the middle of town.
There we found various things, the statue of Copernicus, university buildings adjoing the park and fountains in green areas. Great for relaxing after a hectic day of "touristing".
2010 VT Webcam Shoot, Krakow, Poland
Favorite thing: Matt got all the VTers wandering the streets of Krakow during the VT Euromeet 2010 to gather in the central square for a LIVE WEBCAM shoot. My daughter Tal watched us on her computer back home in Israel and then called, she was thrilled.
The photos show:
1) The group photo.
2) What the group photo looks like behind Hansi's video camera.
3) Matt with holding his Polish flag and megaphone.
4) VTers jumping for Jumping Norman.
5) Matt and Chiara trying to answer a simple question from a passing tourist...
WHY IN THE WORLD WERE YOU ALL JUMPING AND WHAT IS VT??
Good luck guys !!! ^O^
As a note, this was I do believe the FIRST time that I, as part of the VT group, became a tourist "attraction". We had literally dozens of tourists passing by and taking OUR PHOTO....
St. Adalbert Church, Krakow, Poland
Favorite thing: Matt, our organizer of the VT Euromeet 2010 in Krakow, decided upon doing one of our photo shoots here alongside the Church of Saint Adalbert...now I imagine when this church was consecrated that they had NO IDEA we would put it to such use in the future, but we did and it is now history. You can see the church itself in the first photo, a tiny little thing, hardly seeming to be enough to have a priest in, not to mention a congregation.
The other photos show Matt using his megaphone to try and get all the rowdy VTers rounded up to do the photoshoot, and Stacey, Carmen and Sandra smiling for the camera.
As for the history of the church itself, if you are interested, I found a nice article on one of the sites I used to research before going to Krakow.
Hansi, Chiara, 2010 VT Euromeet, Krakow, Poland
Favorite thing: Matt chose the Harris Piano Bar for our first clubbing night. It was an excellent choice and I do think that everyone enjoyed the food, beer AND company of course.
In the photos you can see -
Hansi and Chiara.
Ande and Birgit.
Hansi and Martin.
Larry and Mark.
Martin, Chiara and Zohara.
Fondest memory: Meeting VT friends for the FIRST TIME and of course renewing other friendships made over the years here on VT.
Ande and I have been writing for YEARS, but had never met and she is even nicer than I had believed, now we BOTH plan to visit one another in our respective countries.
Also met up with Chiara and her husband Alex and what a wonderful couple they are. We had the opportunity to share a few hours with them wandering the streets of Krakow.
And introducing Zohara to Hansi and lovely Lori was a blast.
Just too many fantastic people all in one place to mention EVERYONE, just to say that each and EVERY ONE of them IS fantastic for so many reasons.
Barbican, Krakow, Poland
Favorite thing: The Krakow Barbican, exquisite structure. Matt decided to have a photo shoot for the Krakow 2010 Euromeet here, a beautiful place to do it, as you can see in the photos..
Matt, Ursula and our Polish "troop" took a moment to rest before more photos.
Winfred, Teresa and Ursula have a small discussion.
And Alex gets a few winks before continuing on.
More Reviews (13)
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Krakow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of Europe and Poland"
- "Krakow - Ancient Capital of Poland"
- "Krakow: Rome in Poland."
- "Krakow ~ Everybody's Favourite!"
- "WELCOME TO KRAKOW"
- "EUROMEET IN KRAKOW POLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krakow
- Hotels in Krakow
- Transportation in Krakow
- Nightlife in Krakow
- Restaurants in Krakow
- Shopping in Krakow
- Warnings and Dangers in Krakow
- See All...
Explore the World
- Werribee Hotels
- La Pineda
- Cayman Brac Hotels
- Malapi Hotels
- Sandnessjøen Hotels
Badges & Stats in Krakow
- 21 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Krakow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krakow
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A League of (VT) nations."
- Wrote a Review Market Square, Old Krakow center about The Market Square (Rynek Glowny) in Krakow Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Market Square, Old Krakow center"
- updated a Krakow Travelogue "Street Peddlers"
- Commented on one of jolsen05's Krakow travel pages
Photos in KrakowSee All Photos (140)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 323 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 62 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
Latest Krakow hotel reviews
- Grand Hotel - Krakow
- 234 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hotel Kossak
- 531 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel System POP
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 23, 2013
- RT Monopol Hotel
- 341 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Chopin Hotel Cracow
- 265 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel Wyspianski
- 473 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Sodispar Service Apartments
- 308 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Rezydent Hotel
- 320 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- The Secret Garden Hostel
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Matejko
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Witek Hotel and Conference Centre
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Hotel Pod Roza
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Golden Hostel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Hotel B.A.S.
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Wawel Castle- 341 Reviews, 526 Photos
- Auschwitz- 107 Reviews, 247 Photos
- Jewish Quarter - Kazimierz- 158 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Market Square - Rynek Glowny- 159 Reviews, 258 Photos
- Wieliczka Salt Mine- 69 Reviews, 172 Photos
- St. Mary's Church- 128 Reviews, 234 Photos
- St. Florian's Gate and the Barbican- 112 Reviews, 179 Photos
- Cloth Hall - Sukiennice- 83 Reviews, 141 Photos
- Town Hall - Ratusz- 45 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Jagiellonian University- 33 Reviews, 52 Photos
See All Krakow Things to Do