"Spinalonga, Venetians, Turks, Greeks and Leprosy" Nisida Spinalonga by Martin_S.
Nisida Spinalonga Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 16 photos
The tiny island of Spinalonga has a long history, and the last part is the saddest, not so much the island itself but the people who were forced to inhabit the island since they were unfortunate enough to be "different"...in this case it was the disease of Leprosy and I say that with a capital L. This incarceration continued till a cure was found for the disease.
Victor Zorbas's page on Spinalonga is the best I found and a great source of historical and photographic information, take a look at:
- Pros:History and saddness in a small place.
- Cons:Can be too many tourists in high season
- In a nutshell:Truly a place to sit and think about people.
In Agios Nikolaos you can find along the waterfront numerous ferry services that will take you for the day to... more travel advice
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Nisida Spinalonga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "History in every stone"
- "Spinalonga, Venetians, Turks, Greeks and Leprosy"
- "Spinalonga - small island with interesting past"
- "Hop up Spinalonga Island"
- "Western Europe's last leper colony"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nisida Spinalonga
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Nisida Spinalonga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nisida Spinalonga
Photos in Nisida SpinalongaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 346 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 255 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 188 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues