"VT meet in Steyr" Top 5 Page for this destination Steyr by Martin_S.

Steyr Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 271 photos

We met Michael (globtrott) in his hometown of Steyr. Thanks to him we were able to see quite a lot in the few hours we had available. Not to mention being with a person who knows his town from belfry to wine cellar. This is one fo the buidlings in downtown Steyr on the main street Stadtplatz. At this point the street is only a few meters across and more useful for foot traffic.

This is one of the back streets where Michael took us, it was wonderful walking here, it was empty of people and you can see that it is too narrow for cars. The building on the left seemed to grow out of the bedrock it was built on.

Or visit the Garsten Monastery, a small part of which you can see here. The artwork is amazing. But this cathedral also has a secret, but I will save that for later.

• Pros:Great if you have Michael as a guide
  • Cons:Too much to see in a short time
  • In a nutshell:Need to return to see it properly
  • Last visit to Steyr: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2003

Travelogues (1)

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2005 at 12:59 PM

everytime I come to austria, I wish to stay there my whole life

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 8:22 AM

Always geat to be guided by people who know the town so well

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2004 at 10:49 PM

Well, when in Steyr, ask only for the best guide. Michael! I too had him as a guide. Sadly, my wife and I came to visit on a late winter afternoon so a visit to Steyr in summer is a must for us.

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2004 at 11:22 PM

I had the same great local guide ;-)...

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2004 at 2:51 AM

Very nice, Martin. Your interesting writing and awesome photos convinced me, that Steyr is a place worth to visit. Greetings!

• Grazina's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2004 at 9:10 AM

How funny about the "HIPPOS" or I mean the Pigs...you know they taste like chicken...;o) But I love mutton (Lambs Ribs)

• shirez's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2003 at 1:41 AM

looks like a beautiful trip to my neighbours:-))

• Nykaenen's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2003 at 4:57 AM

What an eye you have! Interesting writing, as always ;-))

• Paolo-Italy's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2003 at 2:31 AM

My town is jumeled with Steyr, and probably this year i'll go to visit it! Thanks for your good page!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2003 at 11:01 AM

Well you certainly had a great guide here Martin, and to take you to the wine cellar was a definite 'must see' :-)

Martin_S.

“Good friends, food, wine and a good place to enjoy them all.”

Badges & Stats in Steyr