"Mafra for book lovers" Top 5 Page for this destination Mafra by Martin_S.
Mafra Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 91 photos
As many of my friends know I love books and when I read of the library at Mafra had 40,000 of them, it became IMMEDIATELY a place that I wanted to visit...that is of course aside from the historical and architectural offerings.
Now take into account that this place is HUGE, so put on your walking shoes and step into the world of King João V.
A small point, we arrived for our visit at about 1pm and the place was deserted, even the guards at one point disappeared for lunch or siesta. Now I do not know if this is a regular occurance, but as you can see from the photos we had the place almost to ourselves.
The domed basicilica in itself, in what was essentially a private residence, was beautiful and more impressive than many churches we had seen.
Here are some of the web pages that we used for our trip:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, wish MY library was this large (Not to mention that I would love to have the ROOM ;O))
- Pros:Lots to see and absorb
- Cons:None that we found
- In a nutshell:We arrived in the afternoon and it was almost empty
Any household, no matter how small or how big, has "things" that they use around the house. Mafra, big as it is, is no... more travel advice
Numerous rooms in Mafra contain some of the furniture used centuries ago, others have musical instruments, like the... more travel advice
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Mafra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heritage, Nature and Tradition"
- "Mafra for book lovers"
- "The town that a monastery built"
- "Mafra is the city of the Convent..."
- "Mafra - Portugal"
- "The Cursed Town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mafra
- 7 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Mafra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mafra
Photos in MafraSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 346 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 255 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 188 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues