Istanbul Favorite Tips by Martin_S.
Istanbul Favorites: 490 reviews and 595 photos
Clock Tower, Dolmabahce Palace, Istanbul
Favorite thing: The Ortakoy area is just past the last tram stop after it crosses the Galata Bridge. You can walk the distance and view the Dolmabahce Palace on the way. It is a small area abutting the Bosphorus where the small winding streets have been turned into a park and dining area with many restaurants, all just below the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge (more about the bridge at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatih_Sultan_Mehmet_Bridge) which spans the Bosphorus betwen the European and Asian sides of Istanbul. Just below the bridge is also the Ortakoy Cami (Mosque) on the waterside.
Fondest memory: Just sitting at one of the waterside restaurants enjoying a drink with our Gulench and her family who were there to meet up with us and show us their town.
Clothing display in Nisanca area, Istanbul
Favorite thing: The area where our hotel was located is just across the street from the University and is mainly a wholesale store area, especially clothing. You will find enormous bales of clothing bundled up and ready for shipment to places like Russia. If you are looking for a single item, many will not sell to you, but there ARE shops that will, just keep looking.
Fondest memory: Walking down the street can be an "experience" here in this area, you will find many clothing displays for your entertainment, like the dummies in the first photo, easy to check the type of clothing with the plastic over them..or if you enter the stores you can wander among the tastefully displayed piles of clothes as in the second photo. But there is always a moment of comedy to be found anywhere, we saw these two young fellows hanging out of this window with no idea of WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY DOING, but they did wave to us when I told them I wanted to take their picture ^O^
Multitude of steps, Karakoy, Istanbul, Turkey
Favorite thing: Most people visit the Eminonu side of the Galata Bridge, but we visited the "other" side also and walked along the wharfs where the big tourist boats (Love Boats) arrive and their hundreds disembark to walk that area. The area also includes the Galata Tower, but will show that in another spot. There were a few tourist shops, some fishing/diving gear shops and a few restaurants, but not overly much for a "serious" tourist. We did get a few views, like the steps shown in the first photo (taken on the way to Galata Tower). Along the waterfront you get some fine views along the Eminonu waterfront and the Topkapi Palace.
Yeni Cami, the New Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey
Favorite thing: Just a photo of this mosque from the exterior, it is located on the square across from the Galata Bridge in Eminonu. While it is called the "New" Mosque that does not mean it was made yesterday, this dates from some 400 years ago....We did not have time to take a look inside. At this point after several days seeing many, MANY, we were sort of Mosqued OUT.
If you wish to learn more, the link will provide ...
More Reviews (48)
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Explore the World
- Warren Hotels
- La Maddalena Island Hotels
- Ghachak Hotels
- Prien am Chiemsee Hotels
- Syros Island
- State of Orissa
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 52 Reviews
- 188 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Greek Islands"
- Commented on one of BlackSheeper's Istanbul travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Topkapi Palace (pots and "pans")"
- Wrote a Review Topkapi Palace (pots and "pans") about Topkapi Palace in Istanbul Things to Do
- updated a Istanbul Travelogue "Things we saw around Istanbul"
Photos in IstanbulSee All Photos (188)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 346 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 255 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 188 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (173)
Latest Istanbul hotel reviews
- Nomade Hotel
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- W Istanbul
- 454 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Seres hotel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Hotel Pamphylia
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Star Holiday Hotel Istanbul
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- The Residence Gayrettepe
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- The Bostanci Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2012
- Mavi Guesthouse
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hotel Istanbul Trend
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- La Villa
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Hush Hostel Lounge
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Bostanci Prenses Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Hotel SOGUT
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 4, 2012
- Kadikoy Zumrut Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2012
- And Hotel
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Topkapi Palace- 305 Reviews, 709 Photos
- Agia Sophia - Ayasofya- 299 Reviews, 707 Photos
- Grand Bazaar- 108 Reviews, 186 Photos
- Blue Mosque - Sultanahmet- 246 Reviews, 539 Photos
- Bosphorus River- 109 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Galata Tower- 100 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Taksim Square- 35 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Princes Islands- 29 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Basilica Cistern - Yerebatan Saray- 104 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Dolmabahce Palace- 105 Reviews, 242 Photos
See All Istanbul Things to Do