"Old Acco (Acre) (Akko)" Top 5 Page for this destination Akko by Martin_S.
Akko Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 537 photos
When visiting Acco, the premier place to be is the old city of Acco, one of the oldest settlements in Israel, from 15th century BC of continuous occupation, by Phoneicans, Egyptians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians,Ottomans, English, Romans, Crusaders and others.
(The picture shows the old city walls and was contributed by my friend Steve from Education Resources)
The old city of ACCO has been accepted as a UNESCO world heritage site. You can see this sign at the entrance to the old city when you enter from the new city of Acco along the sea promenade.
This is the western sea wall of Acco, here it was smaller and less reinforced because of the reefs that you can see the sea breaking over. At points where the harbor was and ships could approach close to the walls, they were much higher and more massive to prevent entrance or attack from that quarter.
- Pros:Beautiful old and winding streets.
- Cons:Tourist shops too expensive
- In a nutshell:Plan on at least half a day there
These massive iron bars on a window give proof of the damage that a seaside environment can wreck on any type of... more travel advice
We took this pic on the edge of one of the walls, be sure you don't lose anybody over the edge when you take a picture.... more travel advice
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Akko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Acco / Akko / Acre"
- "Akko (Acre)"
- "Acre - A blend of history"
- "Old Acco (Acre) (Akko)"
- "El Jazzar Mosque"
- "daytrip in ACRE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akko
- Hotels in Akko
- Transportation in Akko
- Restaurants in Akko
- Shopping in Akko
- Warnings and Dangers in Akko
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akko
- 20 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Akko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akko
Photos in AkkoSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 323 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 62 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues