"Dan the Baniyas waterfall & Shrine to Pan, Israel" Dan by Martin_S.
Dan Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
The Banias river provides much of the fresh water of Israel, that along with the Dan, Hatzbani and Tanor (all close by) rivers they are spread across the "finger" of the upper Galilie. Here at the entrance to the nature preserve you pay your ticket and from this point you cannot see or hear the waterfall, it is hidden in the valley you see before you...only the rock wall facing you across the valley hints at the forces of nature at work here.
Once you reach the bottom of the valley you will be greated by the sound of rushing water, a great place to rest your feet and if you are brave enough maybe even find a place to dip them in the ice cold water...today swimming is forbidden here and is very dangerous also.
At the end of the path you will find the Shrine to Pan, the Greek God of "flocks and shepherds who wandered the hills and mountains of Arkadia playing his pan-pipes.
Depicted as a diminutive man with horns, legs and tail of a goat, thick beard, snub nose and pointed ears." He may have been not beautiful to see, but the Romans who called him Fanus, built his shrines to be beautiful.
- Pros:The largest source of fresh water in Israel
- Cons:Can be overcrowded on weekends
- In a nutshell:Worth the time even WITH the crowds
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Dan Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dan
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Dan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 346 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 255 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 188 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues