Eilat Off The Beaten Path Tips by Martin_S.
Eilat Off The Beaten Path: 31 reviews and 63 photos
View from Havat Arundel, near Eilat, Israel
This small hill in the middle of the desert was fortified by the Jordanians and then used later by the Golani (Israeli Army Unit) in 1949 as an outpost for protection against terrorist attacks over the Jordanian border.
You can see how stark was the "accomodations", just some trenches and fortified points on top of the hill with few of the comforts of home...but it was a high point and easier to protect, so there it is. Try to imagine living in conditions of that type with your only connection to "civilization" a weekly truck bringing supplies. No mobile phones, no land lines, not even a simple television.
Eilat from Nahal Shlomo, Israel
This is the view of the Eilat bay from Nahal Shlomo, as you can see it is only a short few hours walk to reach this point. This is also a great area with several mountain bike rides possible, you can get a good topographic map on a scale of 1:50,000 with the trails marked.
Jeep tour, Eilat, Israel
There are many groups that will take you on a off road vehicle to enjoy the spots you cannot reach with your regular car. You also might enjoy doing a trip with a "quad" or "trackeron" as it is called here. We took our first quad trip and because we were not experienced drivers Tal got to ride with the group leader. We only had one problem the whole trip and that was the leader had to keep telling Zohara not to drive so fast because nobody could keep up ^L^ and to think this was her FIRST time, imagine what she would be doing the second trip, wheelies and all I guess.
There are quite a few companies that do this type of trip, check on up to date information when you get to Eilat.
More Reviews (22)
- See All Timna entrance and Copper Road
- See All A little bit of history in Eilat
- See All Club Inn, great location for the beach
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Eilat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the sun shines 350 days a year.."
- "Eilat - The city of tourism"
- "Eilat - a resort on the Red Sea"
- "The Ultimate Beach Resort"
- "Few more photos"
- "The tourist city of israel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eilat
- Hotels in Eilat
- Transportation in Eilat
- Nightlife in Eilat
- Restaurants in Eilat
- Shopping in Eilat
- Warnings and Dangers in Eilat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eilat
- 25 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Eilat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eilat
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hiya Folks"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Uderwater Observatory, Coral World"
- Wrote a Review Timna entrance and Copper Road about Timna Natural Park in Eilat Things to Do
- created a Eilat Travelogue "Hai Bar, bringing Bible animals back"
- Commented on one of Danalia's Eilat travel pages
Photos in EilatSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 323 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 62 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
- Underwater Observatory Marin Park- 27 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Dolphin Reef- 11 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Timna Natural Park- 12 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Eilat Beaches- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Diving- 10 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Cruize in the Red Sea- 6 Reviews, 9 Photos
- The Promanade- 8 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Red Canyon- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- The 101- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Water activities- 2 Reviews, 1 Photos