"Masada, Israel (a World Heritage Site)" Top 5 Page for this destination Masada by Martin_S.

Masada Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 549 photos

On October 31, 2002 UNESCO declared that Masada, located along side the Dead Sea here near Arad, Israel would be a World Heritage Site. This is the invitation that we received to attend the ceremonies.

The inside of the invitation listed the invited speakers for the decleration.
Daniel Pe'er, a well know Israeli Television personality MC'ed the doings.
Yizhar Cohen (who won the Eurovision song contest with his song "HaBonnieBeeHaBonnieBey" several years ago) sang several songs.
A special song called "Masada Mine" was written and preformed for the ceremony.
Actors from an American Brodway musical production of "Masada" came to sing several parts from the musical especially for the ceremony.
Several members of the Israeli Parliment spoke as did a representative of UNESCO, including the Israeli representative.
All in all it was a very moving ceremony and well worth the time (we started at 16:00 and finished at 22:00).
to top everything off they gave a 15 minute display of fireworks.

I caught these three sodiers guarding the decleration ceremonies of Masada as a World Heritage Site. I really liked the combination of our three soldiers (all from front line combat units), the Israeli flag in the background and the scale model of Masada in the forground on the right. You can see parts of the ceremony still going on behind the soldiers and under the flag.

• Pros:Beautiful ceremony.
  • Cons:None to be found.
  • In a nutshell:If invited to a World Heritage Site Ceremony, go
  • Last visit to Masada: Oct 2002
  • Intro Written Feb 11, 2003

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Wonderful pages, Martin - a place I MUST see during my lifetime. Funny how this fortress in the sky reminded me of some of the mesa-top pueblos in the US Southwest...

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 7:39 AM

hi Martin, glad to say Ive been there myself now!Stunning place!

• joesjoyous's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Cannot find Masada by Leon Uris. Are u sure of the title????

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2005 at 6:56 PM

Nice Masada page from the unofficial "official"! How funny to see my little bump in that photo...drop by my homepage and see how the "bump" has grown!! xoxoxo M&D&G

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 10:37 PM

Very good page on Masada, Martin!

• Maria_75's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 4:38 PM

What a great and informative page! I was there some years ago and it brought back good memories, plus I learned many new things now. Greetings from Maria.

• Sharon's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2004 at 11:31 AM

Martin... you can be a tourist guide there after retiring :-) Are you ready for your October guests ? :-)))

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2004 at 6:59 AM

I took the cable car up Masada and walked down. Didn't know about the path around the base. Would love to return some day. Excellent pages.

• eviltooth's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2003 at 4:25 PM

So you gonna bring me to Masada too? Just read a book that mentioned Masada, can't wait to see it myself!

• nighthawk's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2003 at 4:57 AM

great page, have seen a film on masada and read some bout it, very impressive, more than worth to be on the world heritage list

Martin_S. Visits Here Frequently!

Martin_S.

“Good friends, food, wine and a good place to enjoy them all.”

Badges & Stats in Masada