"Masada, Israel (a World Heritage Site)" Top 5 Page for this destination Masada by Martin_S.
Masada Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 522 photos
On October 31, 2002 UNESCO declared that Masada, located along side the Dead Sea here near Arad, Israel would be a World Heritage Site. This is the invitation that we received to attend the ceremonies.
The inside of the invitation listed the invited speakers for the decleration.
Daniel Pe'er, a well know Israeli Television personality MC'ed the doings.
Yizhar Cohen (who won the Eurovision song contest with his song "HaBonnieBeeHaBonnieBey" several years ago) sang several songs.
A special song called "Masada Mine" was written and preformed for the ceremony.
Actors from an American Brodway musical production of "Masada" came to sing several parts from the musical especially for the ceremony.
Several members of the Israeli Parliment spoke as did a representative of UNESCO, including the Israeli representative.
All in all it was a very moving ceremony and well worth the time (we started at 16:00 and finished at 22:00).
to top everything off they gave a 15 minute display of fireworks.
I caught these three sodiers guarding the decleration ceremonies of Masada as a World Heritage Site. I really liked the combination of our three soldiers (all from front line combat units), the Israeli flag in the background and the scale model of Masada in the forground on the right. You can see parts of the ceremony still going on behind the soldiers and under the flag.
- Pros:Beautiful ceremony.
- Cons:None to be found.
- In a nutshell:If invited to a World Heritage Site Ceremony, go
Most often at Masada, people visit the northern palace, the bathhouse, the commanders quarters, the beit kenneset and... more travel advice
Polona (Oja) brought her new family to visit us and one of the places (like the bridges in Ljubljana) that you just... more travel advice
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Masada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Masada, Israel (a World Heritage Site)"
- "Once upon a time..."
- "Massada the Fortress"
- "Masada National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Masada
- Hotels in Masada
- Transportation in Masada
- Nightlife in Masada
- Restaurants in Masada
- Warnings and Dangers in Masada
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Masada
- 18 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Masada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masada
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A League of (VT) nations."
- updated a Masada Travelogue "VT Meet Masada with a friend, David and Michelle"
- Commented on one of tzuki's Masada travel pages
- Wrote a Review Find the southern water cistern in Masada Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Find the southern water cistern"
Photos in MasadaSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 323 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 62 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues