"Sodom at the Dead Sea and Area" Sedom by Martin_S.
Sedom Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 38 photos
The Dead Sea is the lowest point on Earth at more than 400 meters below sea level. There is one entrance at the north where the Jordan River enters and there are 5 fresh water springs, among them Ein Gedi or Nahal David and Nahal Bokek. The high heat and lack of water entering it presents a perfect "cooking pot" for precipitation. The high rates causes what water left to be high in minerals and you can see on the edges of the sea the salt that has accumlated out.
The Malham Cave (or Ma'arat Malham in Hebrew) is on the shores of the Dead Sea and is the longest salt cave in the world. But be sure that if you can obtain permission to enter (it is closed most of the time) that you take plenty of water, it is a relatively hot environment when compared with most caves..
- Pros:Something truly one of a kind
- Cons:Hot,hot, hot in summer
- In a nutshell:If you visit Israel, don't miss this
Lot's wife is a figure from the book of Genesis known for being turned into a pillar of salt as punishment for looking... more travel advice
On the shores of the Dead Sea you have several choices for day hikes, Nahal Pratziem is one of the most popular along... more travel advice
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Sedom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sodom at the Dead Sea and Area"
- "The Dead Sea: As Low as it Gets"
- "Sedom aka Soddom and Gomorrah"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sedom
- 23 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Sedom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sedom
Photos in SedomSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 323 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 62 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues