"Tel Beit Shean, history in the diggings" Tel Bet She'an by Martin_S.
Tel Bet She'an Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 49 photos
Tel Beit Shean (whose name today is derived from Beishan by which the place became known after its desctruction by earthquake), named Scythopolis by the Romans, is composed of two distinct areas, the photo shows the lower and newer Roman city and the actual "Tel" (Hill) upon which were found older archeological remnants.
You can read more on the history here:
Use this map to find out where it is located -
You can also check out the national parks (of which Beit Shean is one) web site:
The main parts of the Roman theater still exist and parts have been reconstructed.
The Roman bathhouse has none of its flooring left, but you can see the underlying columns that supported the floor and left an open space for the heated water to flow underneath.
- Pros:Beautiful piece of Roman history in Israel
- Cons:Way too hot in summer, take precautions.
- In a nutshell:For history/archeology buffs this is fantastic.
Earthquakes destroyed most of Beit Shean, then called Scythopolis in 749CE. These photos graphically show some of the... more travel advice
The main street where everything came together, the "center" of town, the Broadway of Beit Shean. Palladius was the name... more travel advice
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Tel Bet She'an Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tel Beit Shean, history in the diggings"
- "Bet She'an"
- "Greco- Roman Scythopolis"
- "A gem 3 minutes off the main highway"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tel Bet She'an
- 6 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Tel Bet She'an?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tel Bet She'an
Photos in Tel Bet She'anSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 323 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 62 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues