"Yeroham, gate to Maktesh Gadol and Katan" Yeroham by Martin_S.
Yeroham Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 98 photos
The "Maktesh Gadol" is one of three, the Maktesh Gadol, Maktesh Katan and Maktesh Ramon make up the geological triplets of these amazing crater like anomlies...here you can see behind Xiao and Vanessa the Maktesh Gadol (Gadol means "big" in Hebrew). It is a basin or crater shaped valley with only a single opening in the rim wall, almost like a volcano rim that has exploded. There are several theories on how these were formed, but as far as I know none are proven 100% yet.
This is the Maktesh "Katan" (Katan means "Small" in Hebrew), much smaller in circumfence that its bigger brother, here you can see the "cleft" or single outlet in the upper center. The lighter colored wiggly lines you can see are places where rainwater has runoff and left sediment of a light color.
Here you can see Xiao checking out one of the reasons that so many people visit the Maktesh Gadol. There is a park there called "Colored Sand" where minerals in the ground, along with rainwater have caused deposits of different colors, all jumbled together. If you look closely over Xiao's shoulder you can see shades of red, yellow, grey and even eggshell white.
- Pros:Beautiful mineral deposits
- Cons:Can be too hot in mid day sun
- In a nutshell:Take lots of water.
Just north of Yeroham on road 204, you will find on the west side of the road (that would be the left if you are... more travel advice
While visiting the Maktesh Katan we took the opportunity for a self portrait, but who would be foolish enough to walk... more travel advice
Martin_S.'s Related Pages
Yeroham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yeroham: Town in the Midst of the Negev Desert"
- "Yeroham, gate to Maktesh Gadol and Katan"
- "Maktesh Gadol"
- "Yeroham and its stronghold"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yeroham
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Yeroham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yeroham
Photos in YerohamSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arad Intro, 177 reviews, 323 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 77 reviews, 370 photos, 7 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern District Intro, 99 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 207 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 52 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 62 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 61 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 151 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 21 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues