"Canada's Melting Pot" Montreal by Tom_Fields
Montreal Travel Guide: 3,699 reviews and 6,896 photos
Montreal's coat of arms depicts the French fleur de lis, the English rose, the Scottish thistle, and the Irish shamrock. With such diverse roots, this city has always been Canada's melting pot.
This city boasts the best annual jazz festival that I know of (and that's saying quite a lot), and has also hosted the Olympics and countless international events. Montreal has something for every taste.
I spent six nights here, and it was just barely enough to touch the highlights. Of course, you should go in the summer, unless you really love bitter cold weather. But even so, the city has learned to live with its winters; residents can always go down to the city beneath the city, a vast underground network of stores and restaurants.
My visit was during the Jazz Festival. It included more than just jazz--big name pop stars like Stevie Wonder and Jackson Browne appeared, too. Needless to say, the major shows cost quite a bit, but they provided support to the countless free performances.
Do NOT just limit yourself to the Old City or downtown. Visit the islands, the Olympic Park, Atwater, and other outlying areas. There is a LOT to see not just in but also around the city.
- Pros:Endless variety of everything
- Cons:I wouldn't visit in the winter
- In a nutshell:One of North America's best cities
This is one of Montreal's most colorful neighborhoods. Italians settled here in large numbers at about the same time... more travel advice
The Contemporary Art Museum in Montreal has a formidable collection of modern art. Conveniently located downtown, it... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 23 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
Photos in MontrealSee All Photos (105)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue