"Williamsburg: Living History" Williamsburg by Tom_Fields
Williamsburg Travel Guide: 773 reviews and 1,246 photos
During the colonial era, this was the capital of the Virginia colony. Sadly, the original town was all but abandoned for many years, and most of it fell into ruin. Then, in the 1920s, restoration began. The Reverend W.A.R. Goodwin of the Bruton Parish Church pooled his knowledge and resources with oilman John D. Rockefeller to rebuild the old colonial town.
Today, the town is operated by a private, non-profit entity called the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. This group provides a valuable educational, historical, and cultural service by maintaining the restored town, providing tours, and teaching about America's early history. For a history buff, any visit to Virginia should include a stop here. It's perfect for a day trip, or an weekend if you include nearby Jamestown.
The original settlement of Jamestown was established May 13, 1607. Recently, the 400th anniversary was celebrated with speeches, visits from the President and Queen of England, and other events. Not much remains of it, but it has been re-created nearby. This is, like Williamsburg, a very educational experience, and a lot of fun.
The actual settlement at Jamestown, along the banks of the James River, was thought to have been completely inundated and no longer accessible. However, recent archeological digs have shown that it's still right next to the river. Work continues. While the old fort is gone, some of the original foundations of the old houses remain. A small museum contains artifacts and a few actual remains of early settlers.
- Pros:Plenty of history
- Cons:Most of the original places are gone
- In a nutshell:A history buff's dream, perfect for a weekend
Virginia's oldest plantation, Shirley Plantation, was founded in 1613 by Sir Thomas West. His purpose was to cultivate... more travel advice
Not far from Williamsburg is one of Virginia's most historic homes, Berkeley Plantation. In 1619, 38 English investors... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Williamsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pompeii of America!"
- "b1bob's Excellent Williamsburg Adventures"
- "Learning To Love History Via..."
- "Williamsburg - Virginia"
- "My Hometown...Williamsburg"
- "WILLIAMSBURG--A Taste of the 18th Century"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Williamsburg
- Hotels in Williamsburg
- Transportation in Williamsburg
- Nightlife in Williamsburg
- Restaurants in Williamsburg
- Shopping in Williamsburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Williamsburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Williamsburg
- 32 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Williamsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Williamsburg
Photos in WilliamsburgSee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue