"Manassas: So Near, Yet So Far" Top 5 Page for this destination Manassas by Tom_Fields
Manassas Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 49 photos
Manassas is only a short drive from Washington--45 minutes to an hour from my home, depending on traffic. Yet, it seems a great distance. The culture here is definitely Southern. If you didn't know better, you'd never imagine that it's so close to the nation's capital.
If you want an escape from the city, a change of pace without travelling far, this is it.
The first major battle of the Civil War, following the Confederate attack on Ft Sumter, was fought near Bull Run Creek, just outside the town. Most people on both sides anticipated a quick, decisive victory. In fact, thousands of civilians came out to observe the battle.
How wrong they were! No one foresaw how long, bloody, and frustrating the Civil War would be.
The Confederates defeated the Union here, not once but twice. The first battle in July 1861 proved that the war would NOT be easy. The second battle, in 1862, was another great victory for the Rebels. It appeared that they just might win.
- Pros:Historic town, just outside Washington
- In a nutshell:A great day trip from Washington
In this old candy factory, dating to 1908, is a modest art gallery. Most of the works are photos by local artists. It... more travel advice
Every Saturday, from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm, local farmers sell their produce here. It's also a great place to socialize and... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Manassas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Manassas: So Near, Yet So Far"
- "manassas virginia"
- "BRRRRRRUTAL cold and lots of fun..."
- "Manassas, VA"
- "Lunagirl's new Manassas Page"
- "Manassas City, Virginia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manassas
- Hotels in Manassas
- Restaurants in Manassas
- Shopping in Manassas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manassas
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Manassas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manassas
Photos in ManassasSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue