"Front Royal: Gateway to the Shenandoah" Front Royal by Tom_Fields
Front Royal Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 29 photos
Front Royal lies near the northern entrance to the Shenandoah National Park, about an hour from Washington (if you leave early on a weekend). This town has quite a history. The site of a dramatic Civil War battle, it also contains a number of historic buildings and streets. Most are in or near their original condition, and within easy walking distance of each other.
In the spring of 1862, Confederate General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson received word that a Union force under General Banks was waiting to ambush him. He led his troops through the New Market Gap, around the flank of the Federal army, and took it by surprise. Jackson inflicted a stunning defeat on the Union army, forcing it to withdraw.
This battle pitted two Maryland regiments against each other, making it literally brothers against brothers.
Jackson's intelligence on the Yankees came from a local woman named Belle Boyd. Her old home still stands on Chester St.
The Shenandoah National Park lies just south of Front Royal. Most visitors to the park, who come from the north, pass by Front Royal. But don't just drive right on through. Stop and stay a while.
- Pros:Colorful history and architecture
- In a nutshell:Great place to stop for a few hours
The Battle of Front Royal seems like yesterday, to those who visit this museum. Owned and operated by the Warren Rifles... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Front Royal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Front Royal: Gateway to the Shenandoah"
- "Our camping spot"
- "Front Royal, Virgina"
- "Virginia Fall Foliage"
- "Basaic Front Royal Page"
- "The Battle of Front Royal"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Front Royal
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Front Royal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Front Royal
Photos in Front RoyalSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue