"One of Virginia's Historic Gems" Fredericksburg by Tom_Fields
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 581 photos
This town goes back to the very early days. Its old downtown is still very well preserved (or should I say restored). The town is quite walkable, and offers a number of attractions.
In 1862, during the Civil War, General Burnside became the new commander of the Union Army. He replaced General McClellan, who had been widely regarded as too timid and not aggressive enough. Burnside was aggressive, all right.
Burnside ordered a direct, frontal assault on Confederate troops who were well trained, well armed, backed by strong artillery, and determined to win. They also occupied the strategic high ground.
The result was one of the worst defeats in American history. Learn the lessons of this key battle by touring the field with a park ranger. Sadly, European generals failed to take heed; the same thing occurred yet again on the battlefields of the Western Front in World War I.
During the Battle of Fredericksburg, General Longstreet positioned his big guns on the high ground overlooking the field. This is where Fredericksburg National Cemetery is today.
- Pros:Very historic town
- In a nutshell:An excellent day outing from Washington or Richmond
In 1864, the Union Army was again on the offensive. This time, under the leadership of General Ulysses S. Grant, the... more travel advice
This town has much to see downtown. The best starting point is the Visitors Center, whose address and phone number are... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northernmost Truly Southern City"
- "fredericksburg virginia"
- "FREDERICKSBURG VIRGINIA"
- "Civilised & Revolutionary"
- "Fredericksburg, VA"
- "FREDERICKSBURG VT MEET - BLAZE NEW TRAILS"
- "FREDERICKSBURG - HISTORY ON THE RAPPAHANOCK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Transportation in Fredericksburg
- Nightlife in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 10 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: VACATION IN KRAKOW"
- Wrote a Review Spotsylvania Battlefield in Fredericksburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spotsylvania Battlefield"
- created a Fredericksburg Travel Page "One of Virginia's Historic Gems"
- Commented on one of chewy3326's Fredericksburg travel pages
Photos in FredericksburgSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue