"Heidelberg" Heidelberg by Tom_Fields
Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,050 reviews and 2,793 photos
Heidelberg's old city, including the famous castle is built mainly of dark red sandstone. It's a sedimentary rock, created by the slow deposits of sand over many eons. So it erodes more quickly than other rocks. That's why the castle has suffered so much depreciation over the centuries. But because it is almost a ruin, that's what draws so many visitors to it.
Heidelberg is also home to Germany's oldest university, founded in 1386 by Prince Ruprecht I. There are also fine parks and public spaces along the River Neckar.
- In a nutshell:One of Germany's gems
The charm of the old town stays with you for a long time. Heidelberg has seen very little modern development. Strolling... more travel advice
Inside the castle is the Pharmacy Museum. This restored medieval pharmacy gives you an idea of what a "drug store" was... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Heidelberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG"
- "This is not Heidelberg Castle, is it???"
- "Huckleberry Berg"
- "Heidelberg – a constant inspiration"
- "Nemorino in Heidelberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heidelberg
- Hotels in Heidelberg
- Transportation in Heidelberg
- Nightlife in Heidelberg
- Restaurants in Heidelberg
- Shopping in Heidelberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Heidelberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heidelberg
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Heidelberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heidelberg
Photos in HeidelbergSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue