"Sumter: on the Way to Myrtle Beach" Sumter by Tom_Fields
Sumter Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 36 photos
I was stationed at Shaw Air Force Base from January 1990 to May 1995. Living in the dorms for the first two and a half years, Sumter was the nearest town.
Once I was able to move off-base, I moved to Columbia--which is a lot better than Sumter. However, Sumter has a few points of interest. If you're on the road between Columbia and Myrtle Beach, with an hour or so to kill, stop here and visit the Iris Gardens at Swan Lake. If you're a history buff, you may visit the grave of General Thomas Sumter. There is some good hunting and fishing around here, too.
For information on Sumter, contact the city at:
City of Sumter
PO Box 1449
21 N. Main Street
Sumter, SC 29150
Tel: (803) 436-2500
Fax: (803) 436-2615
The City Hall is located inside the Opera House, shown in this photo.
Stationed here for five years, I deployed from this base to Saudi Arabia for the Persian Gulf War in 1990-91. It was a great day when I moved out of the dorm to a new apartment in Columbia.
- Pros:Nice climate
- Cons:All the urban problems, but few of the amenities
- In a nutshell:Worth stopping for an hour
This park began in 1927 as a private retreat for local businessman Hamilton Carr Bland. After a lengthy process of trial... more travel advice
Nicknamed the Gamecock, General Sumter was a hero in the War of Independence, and the last surviving general of that... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Sumter Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "sumter south carolina"
- "Sumter: on the Way to Myrtle Beach"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sumter
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Sumter?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sumter
Photos in SumterSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue