"America's Most Historic Fort" Fort Ticonderoga by Tom_Fields
Fort Ticonderoga Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 25 photos
The French constructed Fort Carillon in 1755, at the outset of the French and Indian War (known in Europe as the Seven Years' War). Here, on July 8, 1758, the Marquis de Montcalm and his troops repulsed a British force five times their own size. But they later destroyed and abandoned their fort.
The British rebuilt it and renamed it Fort Ticonderoga, an Indian word meaning "the place between the waters". They remained there until the Revolution, when the Continental Army captured it. Under the leadership of Benedict Arnold and Ethan Allen, the famed Green Mountain Boys held it for the remainder of the war.
In the 1800s, many visited what had become a ruin. Stephen and Sarah Pell acquired it and restored it, starting in 1909. Since 1931, the non-profit Fort Ticonderoga Association has operated this historic monument.
The fort's gardens began early on, as the soldiers of the garrison needed to be as self-sufficient as possible. They grew their own vegetables and herbs. Be sure to stop here for a visit.
- In a nutshell:A priceless piece of history
The garrison at Fort Ticonderoga grew herbs and vegetables here, which formed a large part of their rations. It's a... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Fort Ticonderoga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the Great American Military Forts"
- "America's Most Historic Fort"
- "Fort Ticonderoga - Fort Carillon"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Ticonderoga
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Fort Ticonderoga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Ticonderoga
Photos in Fort TiconderogaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue