"Maryland's First Capital" St. Marys City by Tom_Fields
St. Marys City Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 84 photos
St Mary's City was founded shortly after the first European landing at St Clement's Island in 1634. It became the capital of the new colony. Maryland was founded for English Catholics, to escape persecution at home.
For a few decades, it thrived, and attracted immigrants from all over Europe. This was the first colony to practice genuine religious freedom (that is, for all Christians). But in the 1690s, the capital moved to the new town of Annapolis.
Soon, St. Mary's City ended up abandoned. In time, it was plowed under and nearly forgotten.
But, like the more famous Williamsburg, it was rediscovered. Archeologists have been hard at work reconstructing the town. It's become a major tourist attraction, a must-see for history buffs.
There's a restored State House, Maryland's first print shop, a rebuilt chapel for Catholics, a replica Indian village, an archeological dig at the old Calvert house, and much more.
Be sure to visit the replica of the Maryland Dove. This ship, along with a larger one, brought the first settlers from England in 1634.
On the southernmost tip of Maryland, where the Potomac River empties into the Atlantic, lies Point Lookout. It's a place... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
St. Marys City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Mary's City - the first capitol of MD"
- "After The First Capitol, a College"
- "Maryland's Origins - St. Mary's City"
- "Maryland's First Capital"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in St. Marys City
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to St. Marys City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in St. Marys City
Photos in St. Marys CitySee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue