"Great Falls: The Maryland Side" Great Falls by Tom_Fields
Great Falls Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 47 photos
This is the Niagara of Maryland. The falls are spectacular.
Equally interesting is the old C&O Canal, which was built to circumvent the falls. Originally, in the very early days of America, this canal was meant to link the coast to the western frontier. But the Appalachians are a formidable obstacle. So the canal runs 184 miles from Georgetown in Washington to Cumberland, out in western Maryland. Along the way are numerous locks, which enable boats to travel up and down the canal.
- Pros:Beautiful, historic place, very close to Washington
- In a nutshell:An ideal day trip from Washington or Baltimore
This is a tough, potentially hazardous trail, with some spectacular views of Great Falls and the Potomac. Take your... more travel advice
The trails along the old C&O Canal go on for miles. It's a scenic and pleasant hike, not too difficult. Along the way,... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Great Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great Falls Maryland"
- "Great Falls Over The Potomac"
- "Great Falls: The Maryland Side"
- "Great Falls (MD / VA) - Potomac River"
- "Great Falls"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Falls
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Great Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Falls
Photos in Great FallsSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue