"Queen City" Cumberland by Tom_Fields
Cumberland Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 60 photos
The Founding Fathers wanted to open up the interior of America to traffic from the coast. So they began the C&O Canal, in Washington It ended here, where the country was simply too moutainous (hilly to those from out West) to continue. Cumberland marks the western end of the C&O, and the start point of the National Road. Due to its critical location, it grew to be Maryland's second largest city, and acquired the nickname the Queen City.
The National Road goes deep into what was then the frontier--the Midwest today. After the railroads came along, this town became a major rail center. So it's always been a transportation hub. And there is a lot of history here. If you're passing through on the interstate, it's worth stopping for a while.
- In a nutshell:Worth stopping for
This is Cumberland's "main drag", where people meet and greet each other. It's a pedestrian zone stretching several... more travel advice
The Crabby Pig specializes in Maryland crab cakes. It also has a wide selection of other classic dishes. And it's right... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Cumberland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cumberland Maryland"
- "Cumberland on the change"
- "Gateway to the Alleghenies"
- "Cumberland, Maryland"
- "Queen City"
- "Far West in Maryland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cumberland
- 6 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Cumberland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cumberland
Photos in CumberlandSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue