"Columbia, by James Rouse" Columbia by Tom_Fields
Columbia Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 29 photos
Developer James Rouse planned this town in the 1960s. Since then, it has grown to nearly 100,000. Columbia is a bedroom community, convenient to both Washington and Baltimore.
It has a good mix of residential, commercial, and mixed-use development. The town is divided into small villages, with open green space in between. It has little in the way of historic interest, but provides a welcome respite from the hectic pace of life in the big city.
This is a very family-oriented town. Nice for kids, but not the best place for young, single adults.
James Rouse, Chairman of the Board of Directors of The Rouse Company, announced his plans to construct this town in 1963. He wanted to create a new kind of town, with the right balance of housing, office space, retail, restaurants, and open green spaces. He wanted a place where people would enjoy living, not just one that would be conveniently located.
This statue of James and his brother Williard stands at the Town Center, in front of Kittamaqundi Lake.
- Pros:Very nice place to live
- Cons:Not very much action for singles
- In a nutshell:A change of pace from the big city
This lake is nearly surrounded by residential development. But there is a small park on the north side. It has a dam on... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Columbia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mooseluv88's new Columbia page"
- "Culture in Columbia"
- "Columbia, by James Rouse"
- "Planned Community"
- "Tchr's Columbia Page"
- "MarylandDave's new Columbia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Columbia
- Hotels in Columbia
- Restaurants in Columbia
- Shopping in Columbia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Columbia
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Columbia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Columbia
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue