"Bowie, Formerly Huntington" Top 5 Page for this destination Bowie by Tom_Fields
Bowie Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 62 photos
Huntington was founded during the early 18th century. It was renamed Bowie after the Civil War, when the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad built a depot here, part of its westward expansion. The name Bowie came from the president of the B&P Company, and later governor of Maryland, Oden Bowie.
With the huge post-World War II economic boom, the town expanded dramatically, especially when the Levitt Corporation began residential development here (one of the famed "Levittowns" of the 1950s).
In the process of all this development, the countryside surrounding the city all but disappeared. But a number of historic sites remain.
- Pros:A number of interesting places to see
- Cons:Out of the way for most visitors
- In a nutshell:Good place for a day trip from Baltimore or Washington
If you take a pleasant day trip to Bowie, and decide to do lunch, this is the place. That is, if you like vegetarian... more travel advice
Oden Bowie, President of the Baltimore & Pennsylvania Railroad, built the rail depot here shortly after the Civil War.... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Bowie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whistling Through Bowie"
- "Bowie, Formerly Huntington"
- "Places I've been"
- "Bowie, MD"
- "Eh..Its just Bowie"
- "My America years 1989 - 1991"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bowie
- Hotels in Bowie
- Restaurants in Bowie
- Warnings and Dangers in Bowie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bowie
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Bowie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bowie
Photos in BowieSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue