"Annapolis: Maryland's Capital" Annapolis by Tom_Fields
Annapolis Travel Guide: 220 reviews and 547 photos
Annapolis, only about an hour's drive from my home in Washington, is the perfect place for a day trip. The Statehouse here is the oldest one in continuous use in the entire US. Take a tour, and learn about the history of this state.
If you go, be sure to arrive early, in order to procure a good parking place. The town's narrow 18th century streets provide very little room, so driving is a challenge. It's better to park on the edge of the old historic town, and walk the few remaining blocks to the attractions.
This is the heart of Annapolis. At one time, it was a major seaport, but it's now too small for large, ocean-going container ships. Instead, the harbor is full of small pleasure craft. Annapolis is the sailing capital of the East Coast. The regatta shown here is one of many held throughout the year.
This is one of the three American service academies. To enter, you must present a valid government ID. While many parts are off-limits to the general public, others are accessible and offer a lot to see. Be sure to see the Chapel and Peble Hall, with its museum.
Harbor tours also provide some excellent views of the Naval Academy. You can even observe cadets on their small sailboats, practicing their seamanship. This is where they learn basic maritime skills.
- Pros:A lot to see in a small area
- In a nutshell:An excellent day or weekend trip
When you visit Annapolis, please try to arrive early--preferably before 10:00 am. The best places to park are in the... more travel advice
Here is where many of America's most prestigious "old money" families tie up their pride and joy--their sailboats. In... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Annapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capitol of Boat Shows"
- "ANNAPOLIS, MARYLAND--Historic Chesapeake Bay area"
- "Annapolis during a Maryland and Delaware Interlude"
- "A City Within a City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annapolis
- Hotels in Annapolis
- Transportation in Annapolis
- Nightlife in Annapolis
- Restaurants in Annapolis
- Shopping in Annapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Annapolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Annapolis
- 7 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Annapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annapolis
Photos in AnnapolisSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue