"Sonora: Queen of the Southern Mines" Sonora by Tom_Fields
Sonora Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 95 photos
This town began, like so many others, as a Gold Rush mining camp. It was first settled by immigrants from Sonora, Mexico. Naturally, they named it for their old hometown. These people officially founded the town in 1851. It was nicknamed the "Queen of the Southern Mines".
Sonora is full of charm, history, and points of interest. It also has some good hotels, restaurants, and bars. A casual stroll through the heart of town takes you past a number of landmarks.
It is also an excellent base for touring the Gold Country. If you want a pleasant weekend getaway from the Bay Area, Sacramento, Modesto, or Fresno, it's a within reasonable driving distance. Get an early start, and you can explore many attractions that lie with a short distance--Railtown, Moaning Cavern, California Cavern, Calaveras Big Trees, Columbia State Historic Park, and Angel's Camp, to name a few.
Sonora has some small but very pleasant parks, especially downtown. The one shown here is next to the Courthouse.
- Pros:Perfect location for exploring the Gold Country
North of Sonora, on Highway 49, lies Don Pedro Lake. It's between Sonora and Coulterville. A favorite place for boaters,... more travel advice
Built in 1885, with money from Sonora's Bonanza Gold Mine, this historic opera house has had its ups and downs over the... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Sonora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queen of the Southern Mines"
- "Sonora Pass Hwy"
- "Sonora: Queen of the Southern Mines"
- "Sonora, California"
- "Bregman's Sonora Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sonora
- Hotels in Sonora
- Restaurants in Sonora
- Warnings and Dangers in Sonora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sonora
- 13 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Sonora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sonora
Photos in SonoraSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue