"Sequoia National Park" Sequoia National Park by Tom_Fields
Sequoia National Park Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 629 photos
The giant Sequoias are not the oldest living things on earth; that distinction goes to the Bristlecone Pines. Nor are they the tallest trees; their close relatives, the coastal redwoods, are a little taller. But they are the largest in terms of total size and weight. No other tree inspires such awe and reverence.
Like the coastal redwoods, they are highly resistant to disease and pests. Their root structure is shallow. So once they attain a certain size, they tend to become unstable. Eventually, they become prone to fall over when a strong wind blows. That's the undoing of the oldest and biggest trees. When you visit the redwood or Sequoia forests, you're bound to see the ones that have fallen over.
The park is often crowded, but due to its layout the crowds are more spread out than in Yosemite Canyon. Once you hike up one of the trails, the crowd tends to thin out.
Just north of Sequoia National Park lies spectacular King's Canyon. If you visit the Sequoias, for over one day, take a day to see this. It's actually deeper than the more famous Grand Canyon, and similar to Yosemite. But it lacks the huge crowds--at least for now.
Due to their shallow root structure, the giant Sequoias are vulnerable, once they attain a certain height and weight. A really strong wind can send them toppling over. This is how they usually die.
- Pros:Incredible beauty
- Cons:Thick crowds
- In a nutshell:A must-see
If you want to stay near but not in the park, thereby saving some serious money, and have the amenities of civilization,... more travel advice
Deep inside the park, surrounded by mountains, are the Tokopah Falls. The hiking trail to these falls winds through some... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Sequoia National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I Had to Tell a Tree about a Girl: Sequoia"
- "Sequoia National Park:California Family Adventure"
- "Sequoias reside in mountainous terrain"
- "The hidden park"
- "Sierra Nevada at its Best - SEQUOIA NAT PARK"
- "SEQUOIA & KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sequoia National Park
- Hotels in Sequoia National Park
- Transportation in Sequoia National Park
- Nightlife in Sequoia National Park
- Restaurants in Sequoia National Park
- Shopping in Sequoia National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Sequoia National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sequoia National Park
- 10 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Sequoia National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sequoia National Park
Photos in Sequoia National ParkSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue