"Marysville: An Hour's Drive from Civilization" Marysville by Tom_Fields
Marysville Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 45 photos
My twenty-year Air Force career took me to many places, and this was the last one. Now retired, I am employed in Washington, DC.
During the Gold Rush, Marysville was a booming town, where gold prospectors came upriver from Sacramento to stock up on equipment, supplies, and provisions. After striking gold, they came back here to have it weighed, assayed, and then they'd be paid (and maybe get laid). Since then, this town has been on a long, downward spiral. The economy is severely depressed; only Beale AFB keeps it going. Downtown is mostly vacant buildings. The town has all the urban problems--crime, drugs, noise, traffic, congestion--and virtually none of the amenities.
WIthin an hour's drive, one can reach Sacramento, Nevada City, Grass Valley, Oroville, or Chico. All of them are far better than this.
I sure was glad to leave this dump, and have NO plans to return. The only thing here that I really miss is the climate.
Marysville's best feature is its levee. Built with boulders left over from mining operations, it is the highest and strongest in this area. Since its construction, nearly a century ago, Marysville has never flooded.
The levee is also a good place to hike around the town, providing good views of what little there is to see (people were amazed to see someone walking along the levee with a camera). Beware of two hazards, listing here under Warnings and Dangers.
Yuba City once garnered national attention as the home of notorious serial killer Juan Corona. It's also gang territory, so just avoid it. Don't even bother to stop for gas, unless you have to.
- Pros:A good, strong levee
- Cons:Little to see or do, no reason to stop here
- In a nutshell:Don''t bother visiting this place
This is the only event in Marysville that is actually worth the trip from Sacramento (or even from Grass Valley).... more travel advice
There's very little here. A few small businesses somehow hang on, despite the poor economy and conditions. Don't stay... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Marysville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marysville, CA"
- "Marysville: An Hour's Drive from Civilization"
- "Marysville - Historic Sacramento Valley City"
- "Little town with so much to do"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marysville
- Transportation in Marysville
- Restaurants in Marysville
- Shopping in Marysville
- Warnings and Dangers in Marysville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marysville
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Marysville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marysville
Photos in MarysvilleSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue