"Death Valley: the Hottest Place in the US" Death Valley National Park by Tom_Fields
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide: 897 reviews and 1,933 photos
As the name implies, Death Valley is not the most hospitable place. In fact, it's the lowest, and on average the hottest, in the US. Its daytime temperatures are often in the 90s even during spring and fall. But it has a stark, otherworldly beauty that is unique.
Avoid the summer days. Go during the off-season. If you can't do that, then get up very early in the morning, go sightseeing, and take a siesta during the afternoon. Then you can take a short evening hike.
Some tough, hardy creatures manage to survive here. But even they tend to be most active at night, during the morning, or sometimes in early evening. Very few venture out in the midday heat; they usually crawl under a rock. We can all learn from this.
- Pros:Has its own kind of beauty
- In a nutshell:Well worth the trip
Here, salt crystals deposited by ancient lakes have created a surreal, almost dreamlike landscape. Like so many things... more travel advice
People tend to associate Death Valley with sand dunes. Well, here they are. Most of it is rocky, not sandy. But these... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Death Valley National Park Page"
- "Death Valley ? No, a valley of flowers !"
- "~ Blooming with life!~"
- "Into the Valley of Death..."
- "Death Valley - Land of Beauty and Contrasts"
- "Death Valley"
- "Multiple Colors in the "Death" Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Death Valley National Park
- Hotels in Death Valley National Park
- Transportation in Death Valley National Park
- Nightlife in Death Valley National Park
- Restaurants in Death Valley National Park
- Shopping in Death Valley National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Death Valley National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Death Valley National Park
- 12 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Death Valley National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Death Valley National Park
Photos in Death Valley National ParkSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Death Valley National Park hotel reviews
- Stovepipe Wells Village
- 418 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
- 1539 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Furnace Creek Campground
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Sunset Campground
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 8, 2012
- Mesquite Springs Campground
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013