"Auburn: The Endurance Capital of the World" Auburn by Tom_Fields
Auburn Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 183 photos
In 1848, shortly after John Marshall's gold discovery at Sutter's Mill, Claude Chana also found gold in a ravine near Auburn. Soon, the town grew up here to service the thousands of gold prospectors who had flocked to California.
Relatively few actually struck it rich; most of those who made big money off the Gold Rush were the hotel-, saloon-, and brothel-keepers, the merchants, craftsmen, and others where provided the goods and services that the prospectors needed. And they flourished in towns such as Auburn, Nevada City, Grass Valley, Placerville, Marysville, Sonora, Angel's Camp, and others.
- Pros:Historic, picturesque Gold Rush town
- In a nutshell:While visiting the Gold Country, be sure to stop here
Downtown Auburn has a number of historically and architecturally significant buildings. Having been spared from modern... more travel advice
One of the oldest buildings in Auburn, this house dates to 1851. Benjamin Bernhard acquired it in 1868, and established... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Auburn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Auburn: Historic with Great Recreational Opps."
- "Auburn, California"
- "Gold Country - Auburn, California"
- "Historic Auburn"
- "Old Town and Newer Old Town Sectors"
- "AUBURN THE SAN FRANCISCO TO RENO TOURIST STOP"
- "Auburn: The Endurance Capital of the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auburn
- Hotels in Auburn
- Transportation in Auburn
- Restaurants in Auburn
- Shopping in Auburn
- Warnings and Dangers in Auburn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auburn
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Auburn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auburn
Photos in AuburnSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue