"Gateway to Space" Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville by Tom_Fields
Huntsville Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 185 photos
After World War II, Dr. Werner von Braun, a German rocket scientist, set up his laboratory here. Known as a sleepy Southern town, Huntsville suddenly became the center of the American space effort. The Cold War was beginning, and we HAD to catch up with the Soviets--especially following Sputnik.
Starting with captured German V-2 rockets, Braun and his team developed the first generation of American space rockets. And the rest is history.
Having so many scientists, engineers, technicians, and support personnel here has been great for the town. Not only economically, but culturally. For its modest size, Huntsville has an impressive art and music scene. This is NOT just another boring hick town.
Located just a few miles off I-65, this is an excellent place for a day trip, or even a weekend visit. And there are many other attractions nearby.
- Pros:Plenty of art and culture--for its size
- In a nutshell:Great place to a short visit
Downtown Huntsville has a nice green zone, called Big Spring Park. A natural spring has bubbled up here since time... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Huntsville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rocket City -- Home Sweet Home"
- "Jim_Eliason's Huntsville Page"
- "Gateway to Space"
- "Huntsville, Alabama"
- "downtown Huntsville, AL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huntsville
- Hotels in Huntsville
- Transportation in Huntsville
- Restaurants in Huntsville
- Shopping in Huntsville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Huntsville
- 3 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Huntsville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huntsville
Photos in HuntsvilleSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue