"Mainz: One of Germany's Historic Cities" Mainz by Tom_Fields
Mainz Travel Guide: 327 reviews and 675 photos
This city's chief claim to fame is Johannes Gutenberg (1397-1468), inventor of the printing press. It also has a splendid cathedral and a number of museums.
Founded in 38 BC, it was a the capital of the Roman province of Germania superior. In 747 AD, St Boniface made the city the seat of the Catholic archbishop. In 1254, Mainz joined with Worms to form the Rhenish League of Cities. Today, it's the capital of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate.
Mainz is still a busy port on the Rhine, with a steady flow of barge traffic. There are also river cruises out of Mainz,... more travel advice
The old historic center of Mainz was severely damaged in World War II, but has been beautifully restored. It's very... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Mainz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mainz am Rhein"
- "Opera and cycling in Mainz"
- "Welcome to Mainz"
- "Mainz 57"
- "Willkommen in Mainz - Welcome to Mainz"
- "Mainz - or Meenz as the locals call it"
- "A Historical German City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mainz
- Hotels in Mainz
- Transportation in Mainz
- Nightlife in Mainz
- Restaurants in Mainz
- Shopping in Mainz
- Warnings and Dangers in Mainz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mainz
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Mainz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mainz
Photos in MainzSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue