"Colchester: Britain's Oldest Recorded Town" Colchester by Tom_Fields
Colchester Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 289 photos
Colchester goes all the way back to very ancient times. It played a key role in Britain's early history. It was founded by Cymbeline, a Celtic chief. In 43 CE, when the Romans conquered the island, it became their capital.
In 60 CE, Queen Boudicca of the Iceni tribe led a revolt against Roman rule. The rebels trapped a large number of Romans and their allies in the temple at Colchester and burned them all. Then, in 61 CE, a Roman legion came across the channel and defeated Boudicca. She fell on her sword rather than be captured alive by the Romans.
After the Norman conquest, the Normans built a castle on the foundations of the old temple, by then only a ruin. The castle remains there to this day, and is the town's main tourist attraction.
Colchester remains a prosperous town with good shopping and lively entertainment. It's a good place for a weekend trip or a day visit from London.
- Pros:Plenty of history
- In a nutshell:Should be on your list of places to see in Britain
After visiting Colchester Castle, see the surrounding public gardens. They are a sight to behold, especially in spring.... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Colchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Britain's Oldest Recorded Town"
- "Town on The River Colne..."
- "Englands Oldest recorded Town"
- "Colchester: Britain's First City"
- "Colchester - Britain's oldest recorded town"
- "Colchester: Britain's Oldest Recorded Town"
- "Too short an afternoon in Colchester"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colchester
- Hotels in Colchester
- Transportation in Colchester
- Nightlife in Colchester
- Restaurants in Colchester
- Shopping in Colchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Colchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colchester
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Colchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colchester
Photos in ColchesterSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue