"Dunfermline: Walking Through Scottish History" Dunfermline by Tom_Fields
Dunfermline Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 283 photos
This is one of Scotland's most historic towns. Once the capital of Scotland, it is famous for its medieval abbey, ruined palace, and the Abbot's House museum. It is also the birthplace of the steel magnate Andrew Carnegie.
Dunfermline is only a short rail journey from Edinburgh. It is an excellent day outing.
The river here makes a sharp bend around a hill, creating a natural defensive strong point. Like Durham and Shrewsbury in England, the town began as a fort. The name comes from old Gaelic, and means a bend in the river.
- Pros:Centuries of history
- In a nutshell:While staying in Edinburgh, come check it out
Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919) was born in Dunfermline, and emigrated to America as a young boy. He eventually made a vast... more travel advice
This is the remnant of a medieval monastery, later rebuilt as a palace. Over the centuries, it has fallen into decay. Of... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Dunfermline Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The King sits in Dunfermline Toon"
- "Dunfermline - Ancient Capital of Scotland"
- "Dunfermline,the Ancient Capital"
- "A fine historic town."
- "New in town"
- "Dunfermline: Walking Through Scottish History"
- "near my grandparents"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dunfermline
- Hotels in Dunfermline
- Transportation in Dunfermline
- Nightlife in Dunfermline
- Restaurants in Dunfermline
- Shopping in Dunfermline
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dunfermline
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Dunfermline?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dunfermline
Photos in DunfermlineSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue