"Ironbridge: Cradle of the Industrial Revolution" Top 5 Page for this destination Ironbridge by Tom_Fields
Ironbridge Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 179 photos
Here, along the banks of the River Severn, a new society began to emerge. This one was governed not by the nobility or the clergy, but by the captains of industry.
In this small town, Abraham Darby learned how to produce iron using coke (liquified coal), which was plentiful in the region. This process proved far superior to the older one using more costly charcoal. The river, in the days before railroads, provided transportation. From these modest beginnings, the Industrial Revolution took shape. Since then, the world has never been the same.
Ironbridge is a United Nations World Heritage Site. As a part of Britain's history and heritage, it's just as important as Stonehenge, the Tower of London, or Canterbury.
- Pros:Plenty of Industrial-age landmarks
- In a nutshell:Where the modern age began
Blists Hill stands on a high hill over the River Severn. During the 19th century, in order to haul boats from the river... more travel advice
This tunnel was used by miners to extract bitumen. This is a thick, gooey substance, once used to treat ropes and caulk... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Ironbridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ironbridge: Cradle of the Industrial Revolution"
- "Ironbridge - Birthplace of Industry"
- "Ironbridge Gorge"
- "Ironbridge - Jewel in the Midlands"
- "Cast Iron Crossing"
- "Ironbridge...A pretty village."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ironbridge
- Hotels in Ironbridge
- Restaurants in Ironbridge
- Shopping in Ironbridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ironbridge
- 8 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Ironbridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ironbridge
Photos in IronbridgeSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue