"Peterborough: Home Away from Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Peterborough by Tom_Fields

Peterborough Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 186 photos

A fine place to live

My home was in Peterborough from 1998 to 2001, while I was stationed at RAF Molesworth. It was a thoroughly enjoyable time, and I still remain in touch with a few people there.

With its central location in the heart of England, it was a perfect base for exploring the UK. Peterborough is on the Great Northeastern Railroad (GNER) line, From here, one can get to London in just under an hour, to York in less than two hours, and to Edinburgh in about four. The A1 motorway passes just west of Peterborough. From here, travel east and west is generally more difficult than going north and south.

Compared to London, it's a relatively cheap place to live. Some commute to jobs in London.

Peterborough City Centre

Peterborough's old city center is a lively, interesting place. It has plenty of good shopping, a cinema specializing in art films, some fine pubs and restaurants, and a excellent nightlife. Shown here is the old Guildhall.

The Ortons, My Old Home

I lived in a part of Peterborough called Orton Malborne. It's in an area called the Ortons, which at one time was the Orton Estate. This country estate was sold off, and is now a hotel and restaurant (see my hotel tip). The surrounding lands were made into housing. I very much enjoyed walking and running in the Ortons, and made some good friends in the area.

Living in Orton Malborne was convenient. It was a half-hour commute to my job at RAF Molesworth (just west of Huntingdon), and also had bus service directly to the city center, which took about 10-15 minutes.

Within an hour one can easily walk to the city center, to the parks at Ferry Meadow, the Nene Valley Railway, or one of the many pubs along Oundle Road. The Ortons also have a few pubs and shops of their own. Where I live now, there is nowhere to walk.

• Pros:Central location, lovely parks, plenty to do
  • Cons:Crime, drugs
  • In a nutshell:I miss Peterborough
  • Last visit to Peterborough: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated Nov 28, 2005

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Nice page, used to skydive at Peterborough years ago. I'm sure you had fun in the UK :-)

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 7:28 AM

A place I've planned to visit several times but always seem to pass by.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 10:32 AM

A really nice page Tom, I lived here for 24 years till last year and its a great little city

Tom_Fields Used To Live Here!

Tom_Fields

“Life should be lived, not watched.”

Badges & Stats in Peterborough

Have you been to Peterborough?

Latest Activity in Peterborough