"Peterborough: Home Away from Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Peterborough by Tom_Fields
Peterborough Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 186 photos
My home was in Peterborough from 1998 to 2001, while I was stationed at RAF Molesworth. It was a thoroughly enjoyable time, and I still remain in touch with a few people there.
With its central location in the heart of England, it was a perfect base for exploring the UK. Peterborough is on the Great Northeastern Railroad (GNER) line, From here, one can get to London in just under an hour, to York in less than two hours, and to Edinburgh in about four. The A1 motorway passes just west of Peterborough. From here, travel east and west is generally more difficult than going north and south.
Compared to London, it's a relatively cheap place to live. Some commute to jobs in London.
Peterborough's old city center is a lively, interesting place. It has plenty of good shopping, a cinema specializing in art films, some fine pubs and restaurants, and a excellent nightlife. Shown here is the old Guildhall.
I lived in a part of Peterborough called Orton Malborne. It's in an area called the Ortons, which at one time was the Orton Estate. This country estate was sold off, and is now a hotel and restaurant (see my hotel tip). The surrounding lands were made into housing. I very much enjoyed walking and running in the Ortons, and made some good friends in the area.
Living in Orton Malborne was convenient. It was a half-hour commute to my job at RAF Molesworth (just west of Huntingdon), and also had bus service directly to the city center, which took about 10-15 minutes.
Within an hour one can easily walk to the city center, to the parks at Ferry Meadow, the Nene Valley Railway, or one of the many pubs along Oundle Road. The Ortons also have a few pubs and shops of their own. Where I live now, there is nowhere to walk.
- Pros:Central location, lovely parks, plenty to do
- Cons:Crime, drugs
- In a nutshell:I miss Peterborough
Whittlesey is a small town about six miles southeast of Peterborough. Its main industry is the brickyard. It has a... more travel advice
The Christmas season is a lively time in old Peterborough. Here are some of the lovely holiday decorations around the... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Peterborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dedicated to the King of Peterborough"
- "WELL, WHAT CAN I SAY, IT`S HOME"
- "Peterborough: Home Away from Home"
- "Peterborough, Medehamstede and the Big Cathedral"
- "Welcome to Peterborough"
- "Interesting cathedral........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peterborough
- Hotels in Peterborough
- Transportation in Peterborough
- Nightlife in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Shopping in Peterborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Peterborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peterborough
- 18 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Peterborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peterborough
Photos in PeterboroughSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue