"York: One of My Favorite Cities" York by Tom_Fields
York Travel Guide: 1,637 reviews and 4,012 photos
This is the best-preserved medieval city in northern England. Its ancient walls remain almost intact; within those walls, much of the city appears to have changed very little in many centuries. With a colorful history dating back to Roman times (71 AD, to be exact), York has more to offer than any other city in the North.
The name "York" comes from the old Viking name "Jorvik", reflecting the city's Scandanavian heritage. During the Dark Ages, a large number of Vikings settled here, and their heritage has been part of this city ever since.
A visit to York should last overnight--preferably three to four days. It has far too much to cover in a single day trip, including many interesting activities in the evening. Anyone with an interest in ancient or medieval history will find this old city to be endlessly fascinating and intriguing.
Yorkshire has its own local dialect, with a considerable Scandanavian influence. In York, a "pub" is a bar, a "bar" is a gate, and a "gate" is a street. So most gates lead to a bar, with pubs along the way. Are we all clear on this, now?
- Pros:One of the finest medieval cities anywhere
- In a nutshell:If you visit the North, see York first
This is a fun place to not only shop, but just to hang out, watch the people, and of course shoot photos. more travel advice
This small, unassuming church is located directly across from Yorkminster. It's near Yorkminster's belfry, hence the... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
York Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "York - potential capital of the north"
- "The Old Capital of the North"
- "York - a standout amongst the pretenders"
- "History and shopping."
- "YORK - 2000 YEARS OF HISTORY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in York
- Hotels in York
- Transportation in York
- Nightlife in York
- Restaurants in York
- Shopping in York
- Warnings and Dangers in York
- See All...
Badges & Stats in York
- 26 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to York?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in York
Photos in YorkSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue