"Heart of Roman Tuscany" Lucca by Tom_Fields
Lucca Travel Guide: 566 reviews and 1,474 photos
An important road junction in Roman times, this town has been settled since at least the time of the ancient Etruscans. It still retains the basic layout that the Romans created about the 3rd century BC.
The Ligurians built a wall around their town in the 16th century that still stands, along with a beautiful Romanesque cathedral. It was a prosperous trading center for centuries. Today, Lucca is one of Tuscany's most ancient and best-preserved towns.
- In a nutshell:Don't miss it
This cathedral has a history dating back to the 6th century, when St Frediano conceived of the first modest church here.... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Lucca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lucca from the inside"
- "Lucca - a Gem of a City"
- "Location, Location"
- "Lucca - Historical gem of the Tuscany"
- "A Small Taste of Lucca"
- "My own little Tuscan crush"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lucca
- Hotels in Lucca
- Transportation in Lucca
- Nightlife in Lucca
- Restaurants in Lucca
- Shopping in Lucca
- Warnings and Dangers in Lucca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lucca
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Lucca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lucca
Photos in LuccaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue