"The Heart of the Marches" Urbino by Tom_Fields
Urbino Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 152 photos
This city dates back to Roman times. The Lombards took over after Rome's fall, and it was later consolidated with four other cities. In the 12th century, Emperor Frederick Barbarossa placed the Montefeltro family in charge of the city; they remained in power until 1508. The Della Rovere family then inherited the city. The Papal State annexed it in 1631, and retained control until Italian unification in 1860.
The imposing Ducal Palace of the Montefeltro family dominates the city. It appears to be more of a fortress than a palace, giving the entire town the look of a huge castle.
Urbino is also famed as the home of Renaissance painter Raphael, best known for his Madonnas (paintings of Mary and Jesus). It also has a beautiful old quarter and some fine churches. This is the best place to visit in the Marches region of northern Italy.
Raphael Sanzio was born in this humble house in 1483, the son of a painter. After picking up the basics from his father,... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Urbino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's worth trying to find Urbino"
- "Town made of bricks"
- "One of the Reasons We Came to the Le Marche"
- "Urbino, a brief special visit for a Festa del Duca"
- "August 15, 2010: Festa del Duca"
- "Interesting little Urbino"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Urbino
- Hotels in Urbino
- Transportation in Urbino
- Restaurants in Urbino
- Shopping in Urbino
- Warnings and Dangers in Urbino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Urbino
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Urbino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Urbino
Photos in UrbinoSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue