"One of France's Finest Medieval Towns" Chartres by Tom_Fields
Chartres Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 750 photos
This is a unique piece of work, with two steeples built in different styles. The reason is that a fire in 1194 destroyed most of the cathedral, leaving the right spire intact. It was rebuilt in the later Gothic style, with a new spire that reflects the evolution of church architecture. And so, one can see the contrast between these two styles. This is one of France's greatest cathedrals.
Chartres is a rather quaint, well-preserved medieval town on the River Eure. Dating back to Roman times, it was named Autricum. With relatively little modern development, the town center is a nice place to just stroll about and enjoy the views. In addition to its famed Cathedral, there are a few other churches worth visiting. With regular rail service to Paris, it's very convenient for the day tripper.
- In a nutshell:The perfect day trip from Paris
This medieval town has much to see besides churches. Just take a walk around, and enjoy the architecture and the... more travel advice
This was once a Benedictine abbey named St Peter's in the Valley. Disestablished during the Revolution, it became the... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Chartres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Piece of the Medieval World"
- "Chartres' Cathedral"
- "Our Lady of Chartres"
- "Chartres Cathedral"
- "The Town in the Shadow"
- "Come for the Cathedral - Stay for the Town."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chartres
- Hotels in Chartres
- Transportation in Chartres
- Nightlife in Chartres
- Restaurants in Chartres
- Shopping in Chartres
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chartres
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Chartres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chartres
Photos in ChartresSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue