"History in Stone" Ephesus by Tom_Fields
Ephesus Travel Guide: 511 reviews and 1,942 photos
The first historical record of Ephesus dates back to around 2,000 BC. It later became a Greek colony, under Ionian rule. During the Pelooponnesian Wars, Sparta took the city-state from Athens. Alexander the Great came here, as did his successor Lysimachos. Lysimachos moved the city to higher ground, and built part of what can be seen today.
The Romans took control in 190 BC. Under their rule, the city enjoyed a period of unprecedented peace, prosperity, and construction. Most of the ruins still visible now date from this period. The Roman emperor Theodosius convened the Third Council of Christian churches, held at the Church of St Mary.
The New Testament contains references to St Paul coming here (Acts 18:19 and 19:26). He criticized local artisans for making silver miniatures of the Temple of Artemis, and selling them. He said that man-made idols could not be gods. This led to a confrontation between Paul and the local smiths, which ended up in court. The decision was to evict Paul from the city.
St John also lived here for a while. So this city is a center of Christian pilgrimages. After Istanbul, this is Turkey's most historic city.
No real city is complete without a brothel. Or at least that's how it used to be. The brothel was probably a busy place.... more travel advice
The Odeon, or small theater, was also called the Bouleuterion, since the local Senate or Boulea met there. Vedius... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Ephesus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WONDER OF EPHESUS"
- "Ephesus - Ancient city"
- "The Inspiring Roman Ruins of Ephesus"
- "Ephesus the open air Museum"
- "Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ephesus
- Hotels in Ephesus
- Transportation in Ephesus
- Nightlife in Ephesus
- Restaurants in Ephesus
- Shopping in Ephesus
- Warnings and Dangers in Ephesus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ephesus
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Ephesus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ephesus
Photos in EphesusSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue