"France's Gateway to the Mediterranean" Marseille by Tom_Fields
Marseille Travel Guide: 771 reviews and 1,747 photos
Greek seafarers arriving from ancient Phoenicia founded this port city in the 6th century BC. It soon became a thriving center of trade between the eastern and western Mediterranean.
Today, it is France's second largest city, and its busiest seaport. Marseille is also one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. And, despite its famous place in history, it has relatively little tourism. With its unique blend of French and North African culture, it's hard to believe that this city is part of the same country as Paris and Strasbourg.
For most Americans, it's way off the beaten path. Well, actually the super-fast TGV can get you there from Paris in several hours. It's also the ideal base for day excursions into the other attractions of Provence. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit.
- Pros:One of the most beautiful cities in the world
- In a nutshell:Well worth visiting
Not a true palace, this fine structure houses two museums, very pleasant gardens, and a few remnants of ancient... more travel advice
This is the main street of Marseille, the place to be. Lined with the city's finest shops, many good restaurants, and a... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Marseille Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marseille, 2,500 years of history"
- "Carmen and the Count of Monte Cristo"
- "Marseille: sea, sun and wind ... and diversity!"
- "Marseille - you either love it or hate it...."
- "WELCOME TO MY MARSEILLE PAGE ......:-)"
- "MARSEILLE IN PROVENCE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marseille
- Hotels in Marseille
- Transportation in Marseille
- Nightlife in Marseille
- Restaurants in Marseille
- Shopping in Marseille
- Warnings and Dangers in Marseille
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marseille
- 6 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Marseille?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marseille
Photos in MarseilleSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue