"Metz: One of the Crossroads of History" Top 5 Page for this destination Metz by Tom_Fields
Metz Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 606 photos
The capital of Lorraine is the town of Metz, which dates back to ancient times. It was founded by the Celts, who named it Divodurum. The Romans occupied it from 51 BC until Attila the Hun sacked and burned it in 451 AD. During the Dark Ages, it became the capital of the Carolingian dynasty. In time, it became a center of art and learning in medieval France. Heavily fortified, it also became a linchpin of France's eastern defenses.
During the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71, Prussian forces annexed all of Alsace-Lorraine. Following Germany's unification, Metz became a German city. The Germans reinforced its defenses, adding it to the line of forts along their western frontier. Following World War I, Alsace-Lorraine returned to France.
In World War II, Germany occupied France. In late 1944, the US Third Army under General Patton retook the city. So it's been French ever since. Today, it's a modern city with reminders of its long history, and a blend of French and German cultures.
Today, a few remnants of the city's old medieval walls still stand, mostly in the northeastern areas along the Seille River. These walls once surrounded the city. They still give you an idea of how it appeared centuries ago.
- In a nutshell:A blend of France and Germany
In addition to its architecture, Metz has some wonderful public gardens. This makes it a delightful city to just stroll... more travel advice
Metz was once the most heavily fortified city in western Europe. Its extensive network of walls surrounded it, making it... more travel advice
Tom_Fields' Related Pages
Metz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M E T Z"
- "Opera and Theater in Metz"
- "Honey-coloured stone, river and Romans........"
- "Metz: One of the Crossroads of History"
- "bmiller39's new Verdun Page"
- "A pearl of Lorraine - Metz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Metz
- Hotels in Metz
- Transportation in Metz
- Nightlife in Metz
- Restaurants in Metz
- Shopping in Metz
- Warnings and Dangers in Metz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Metz
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Metz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Metz
Photos in MetzSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 137 reviews, 524 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 79 reviews, 328 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greater London Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 28 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 36 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 29 reviews, 113 photos
- Paris Intro, 28 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 101 photos
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue