Puerto Vallarta Favorite Tips by Carmanah
Puerto Vallarta Favorites: 75 reviews and 75 photos
One of Puerto Vallarta's many beaches
Fondest memory: Discovering the beaches all along the coast of Puerto Vallarta is a great way to enjoy the environment. I believe this postcard-perfect photo was taken just north of downtown Puerto Vallarta, where all the big name hotels are located.
In the photo colourful sailboat on the Bahia de Banderas in Puerto Vallarta. And believe it or not, this is not a postcard! My dad took this picture and it turned out just right!
Some of the side streets in Puerto Vallarta
Favorite thing: Get off the main streets in downtown Puerto Vallarta and explore the tiny side streets and alleys. The architecture is amazing, and each road has its own unique character. More often then not, you'll come across some amazing restaurants and shops by doing this. Sometimes you'll even discover secret gardens. You'll never know!
A gigantic pineapple drink by the poolside
Fondest memory: We had 2 weeks booked at our hotel, and while most days we went abroad and explored the nearby towns, some days we just wanted to relax at the poolside. One of my fondest memories was drinking one of those huge fruit drinks served in a pineapple with hibiscus flowers. It was divine! Believe me, you don't usually get drinks like this at home!
An art display in downtown Puerto Vallarta
Favorite thing: Keep an eye out for public art displays on the streets. Also be on the lookout for the historical Mexican architecture. A good example is the gorgeous Catholic church you see in the background.
Looking at Mismaloya Beach from a restaurant
Favorite thing: A favourite location nearby is Mismaloya Beach. It's located a 10 minute drive south of Puerto Vallarta at the foot of the rainforest-covered mountains. This is the famous off-the-beaten-track town in which the 1963 movie "Night of the Iguana", starring Elizabeth Taylor, was filmed. Despite the one or two large resort hotels at Mismaloya, Mismaloya wasn't a large area. There were several little restaurants, all located under thatched-rooved huts, where roosters, hens, pelicans and dogs would scramble around and take shelter from the monsoon rains. It was quite the unique atmosphere - something that we didn't get in Puerto Vallarta itself.
Fondest memory: A fond memory of mine at Mismaloya was walking through a trail in the rainforest, and being surrounded by a cloud of colourful butterflies. They were fluttering from plant, to plant... in every colour of the rainbow.
My sister and I by our hotel swimming pool
Fondest memory: A fond memory I have is sitting by the swimming pool at the hotel with my sister, enjoying our virgin pina coladas. (We were 12 and 15 at the time - no rumfor us!) Incidentally, they're now my favourite tropical drinks - crushed ice, pineapple juice and coconut milk. Yum! Although now I'd probably splash a bit of Bermuda rum for taste. *grin*
Me and my sister holding an iguana
Fondest memory: While walking along the old part of Puerto Vallarta, my sister and I were asked if we wanted our picture taken with an iguana named Iggy Pop. For a few pesos, we decided it was worth it. In the end, this picture still makes me smile. I'm the girl on the right holding Iggy Pop. My sister is the girl who looks like a Mexican.
Favorite thing: visit the old part of Puerto Vallarta on the south side of the Rio Cuale. There was definitely a lot more character in this neighbourhood, and a little bit less touristy once you got away from the beach.<BR>
<B>Photo:</B> Horses waiting to be ridden in old Puerto Vallarta.
Favorite thing: visit the Malecon in the old part of Puerto Vallarta. There are dozens of restaurants and little shops located along the way. It's also a lot less ritzy than the other parts of Puerto Vallarta, but I like it a lot better that way!<BR>
<B>Photo:</B> A photo taken during our walk down Puerto Vallarta's Malecon in the old part of town.
Fondest memory: was exploring Puerto Vallarta's little alleys and streets. The city literally sits at the base of a rainforest. The clouds would roll into the mountains and it would be incredibly atmospheric at times. The mix of ancient and modern Latin architecture and the weathered brick roads made Puerto Vallarta very inviting.<BR>
<B>Photo:</B> Puerto Vallarta's older neighbourhoods in the southern side of the city. Photo by my dad.
More Reviews (15)
- See All The Pacific Ocean
- See All Packing List
- See All Daiquiri Dick's
Carmanah's Related Pages
Puerto Vallarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!"
- "Really Explore Puerto Vallarta"
- "Essential PV"
- "Long time in Returning to Puerto Vallarta!!!"
- "Still the "Real Deal""
- "Fun on the beach, on a boat or in the jungle"
- "Puerto Vallarta: A resort town w/cultural hold"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Vallarta
- Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
- Transportation in Puerto Vallarta
- Nightlife in Puerto Vallarta
- Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
- Shopping in Puerto Vallarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Vallarta
- See All...
Explore the World
- Naiguatá Hotels
- San Benedetto Val di Sambro Hotels
- Stradbally Bridge Hotels
- Chite Hotels
- Baffin Island
Badges & Stats in Puerto Vallarta
- 27 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Puerto Vallarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Vallarta
- Posted in Travel Vancouver Forum "Re: Canadian Crafts shops on..."
- updated a Puerto Vallarta Travel Page "Family vacation in Puerto Vallarta"
- Wrote a Review The Pacific Ocean about Health/Safety in Puerto Vallarta Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Family vacation in Puerto Vallarta"
- Commented on one of jamiesno's Puerto Vallarta travel pages
Photos in Puerto VallartaSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 238 reviews, 390 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Steveston Intro, 54 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 59 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 39 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tofino Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 26 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 27 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (83)
Latest Puerto Vallarta hotel reviews
- Hotel Encino
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Villa Loma Linda
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Costa Vida Vallarta
- 1 Review & Opinion
- La Siesta Hotel Suites
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 26, 2013
- Playa Del Sol Grand
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Villas Mediterraneas
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 17, 2013
- Playa Del Sol Los Muertos Beach
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2010
- Oasis Hostel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Casa Blanca
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 27, 2004
- Costa Azul Adventure Resort
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
- 575 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Villa Bella Bed And Breakfast
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Los Cuatro Vientos Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Casa Corazon
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Malecon- 19 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Old Town- 16 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Boat Cruises- 30 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Downtown- 18 Reviews, 14 Photos
- El Eden- 5 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Canopy Tour- 5 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Night of the Iguana- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Swim with Dolphins- 3 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Los Arcos- 2 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Bucerias- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
See All Puerto Vallarta Things to Do